Contribution to a ploynomial

• Thread starter Budbus
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to find the best combination of reference polynomials to fit a polynomial to an experimental data set. They mention using orthogonal polynomials and projections, but are unsure if it will work if the reference polynomials are not orthogonal. They also mention the problem of determining the accuracy and best match if there is no exact solution for the system.
Budbus
Hello All,

I'll outline what I'm trying to do: I've written a program which will fit a polynomial to a set of data. The data represents a spectra. I want to be able to fit a ploynomial to an experimental data set and then also fit several reference data sets(which I've been able to do. So i have a polynomial for the experimental data and several for the reference sets.

What i want to do now is find out what combination of the reference polynomials wil best fit the experimental data set and therefore find the contribution of each reference to the final measured data. The problem is that the degree of each of the polynomials is not nesessarly the same.

Any ideas? do i make myself clear?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the problem correctly, it comes down to the following

E.g. if you have
[tex]a_1(x^2 + 3x + 3) + a_2(2 x^2 - x ) + a_3 (4 x - 1)[/tex]
and you want to match it to
[tex]5 x^2 + 6 x - 3[/tex]
Then you want to choose the coefficients such that ideally
[tex]a_1 + 2 a_2 = 5, 3a_1 - a_2 + 4a_3 = 6, 3a_1 - a_3 = -3[/tex]
or at least as close as possible.

E.g. you can reduce your problem to solving a system of linear equations, or finding a best fit. There are probably tons of methods for them, though I must admit I know none.

now why didn't i think of that!

You understood correctly and i think it's going to work.
Thanks a lot

I think you want the idea of orthogonal (orthonormal) polynomials and projections.

Yeah, I was also thinking in terms of defining an inner product [tex]\langle \cdot, \cdot \rangle[/tex], and then decomposing as
[tex]\sum \langle p_n, f \rangle p_n(x)[/tex]
but I'm not sure if this would work if the set of reference polynomials wasn't orthogonal (probably it will be either incomplete or over complete at the very least, which means that the decomposition might not exist or not be unique) and not even which inner product to take for polynomials (the usual definition
[tex]\langle f, g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) g(x) \, \mathrm dx[/tex]
will certainly not work as the polynomials are not square integrable --- unless the domain is finite [edit]hmm, if the data represents a spectrum, it probably is bounded... so this might work? Still leaves the problem to determine how good a basis the set of reference polynomials is though[/edit]).

I also have no idea how accurate the coefficient matching thing is, and how to get the best match if there is no exact solution for the system (e.g. there are more reference polynomials than the degree of the input function)

1. What exactly is a contribution to a polynomial?

A contribution to a polynomial refers to a term or factor that is added to or subtracted from a polynomial expression. This term can be a constant, variable, or a combination of both, and it can affect the overall value of the polynomial.

2. How do you determine the contribution of a term in a polynomial?

The contribution of a term in a polynomial is determined by its degree and coefficient. The degree of a term indicates the power of its variable, while the coefficient represents the numerical value of the term.

3. Can a negative contribution exist in a polynomial?

Yes, a negative contribution can exist in a polynomial. This occurs when a term with a negative coefficient is added to the polynomial, resulting in a decrease in the overall value of the expression.

4. What is the purpose of contributions in a polynomial?

The purpose of contributions in a polynomial is to create a more complex expression that can accurately represent real-world situations. By adding or subtracting different terms, we can model different scenarios and make more accurate predictions.

5. How are contributions used in polynomial regression?

In polynomial regression, contributions are used to determine the best fit line for a given set of data points. By adding or subtracting different polynomial terms, we can find the equation that provides the closest fit to the data, allowing us to make predictions and draw conclusions from the data.