Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control Engineering terms

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    I would like to ask about some terms of control engineering.

What are other common expressions for "moving a pickoff point" which can be used as" moving a pickoff point behind of a block" or as "moving a pickoff point ahead of block."

Source:Self-made

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"pick-off point" seems good enough. "tap point" is one alternative.

4. Jan 20, 2017 #3
    What are the other common expressions for "summing junction" ?

Thank you.

5. Jan 20, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"summing junction" is probably the most common term used. If you use a particular software package, there may be a similar term. MathWorks SimuLink calls them a "summing block". But MATRIXx SystemBuild calls them a "summing junction".

PS. If you are writing something, I recommend that you avoid a variety of terms and just use one standard term all the way through. I have spent hours upon hours wondering if some term in a document meant something different from another similar term, when they really meant the same thing.

6. Jan 21, 2017 #5
    Some people use "summing point" or "junction point" instead of "summing junction" so what do you think about these alternatives?

Thank you.

7. Jan 21, 2017 #6
    Could "node", too, be alternative of them ?

Thank you.

8. Jan 21, 2017 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"node" is a good general term. If you want to imply that the node is a place where a signal is being observed or split off to another place, "pick-off point" implies that and is better.

9. Jan 22, 2017 #8
    I am not sure but some people might call summing junctions as substractors.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted