1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control Engineering terms

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    I would like to ask about some terms of control engineering.

What are other common expressions for "moving a pickoff point" which can be used as" moving a pickoff point behind of a block" or as "moving a pickoff point ahead of block."

Source:Self-made

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"pick-off point" seems good enough. "tap point" is one alternative.

4. Jan 20, 2017 #3
    What are the other common expressions for "summing junction" ?

Thank you.

5. Jan 20, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"summing junction" is probably the most common term used. If you use a particular software package, there may be a similar term. MathWorks SimuLink calls them a "summing block". But MATRIXx SystemBuild calls them a "summing junction".

PS. If you are writing something, I recommend that you avoid a variety of terms and just use one standard term all the way through. I have spent hours upon hours wondering if some term in a document meant something different from another similar term, when they really meant the same thing.

6. Jan 21, 2017 #5
    Some people use "summing point" or "junction point" instead of "summing junction" so what do you think about these alternatives?

Thank you.

7. Jan 21, 2017 #6
    Could "node", too, be alternative of them ?

Thank you.

8. Jan 21, 2017 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"node" is a good general term. If you want to imply that the node is a place where a signal is being observed or split off to another place, "pick-off point" implies that and is better.

9. Jan 22, 2017 #8
    I am not sure but some people might call summing junctions as substractors.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted