1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control exam in a week and am really stuck

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    I have no idea where to start with this question. Can anyone help?

Figure Q1 is a block diagram representation of a ship steering system where [tex]\Psi[/tex] is the actual heading angle, [tex]\Psi[/tex]d is the demanded heading and [tex]\delta[/tex] is the input signal to the steering gear controlling rudder movement.

a) Calculate the autopilot controller values (Kc and T) so that the closed-loop system has a pair of complex conjugate poles with a damping ratio of 0.5 and an undamped natural frequency of 5 rad/s

b) Make a rough sketch of the root locus plot of the resulting system clearly showing the location of the asymptotes and the breakaway point.

I freely admit to not having a clue where to start with this. Needless to say it is troubling me. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?