Mastering the Control of a Pendulum: Labview Inputs and IR Sensor Use

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving an inverted pendulum and the necessary components for the Labview system. The main questions revolve around the required input, specifically whether only theta is needed or if the position of the cart is also necessary. The use of a potentiometer to detect the angle is suggested as an alternative to an IR sensor. The conversation ends with a clarification on how a potentiometer can be used to detect the angle.
minoroctave

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a project involving an inverted pendulum, as attached.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know about some things:

First, is theta the only required input from the inverted pendulum system to Labview? Don't I also need the position of the cart that the pendulum will be mounted on?

Secondly, from the component list, "Component 9 - a "Sharp IR Sensor plug and wire assembly" - Is this the sensor for theta?
If the IR sensor is something like youtube.com/watch?v=PnJnbDfLr3M
can it be used to measure theta?

Attachments

• Project.pdf
    58.6 KB · Views: 322
Physics news on Phys.org
minoroctave said:
First, is theta the only required input from the inverted pendulum system to Labview? Don't I also need the position of the cart that the pendulum will be mounted on?
Theta will let you calculate the relative position. That should be enough.

Secondly, from the component list, "Component 9 - a "Sharp IR Sensor plug and wire assembly" - Is this the sensor for theta?
I would use the potentiometer (component 7). I don't know how an IR sensor would be used.

FactChecker said:
I would use the potentiometer (component 7). I don't know how an IR sensor would be used.

but isn't a potentiometer an adjustable resistor? how is it used to detect the angle?

Physically connect it to the pendulum so that the control is moved when the pendulum moves. Then the pendulum position is related to resistance.

minoroctave said:
but isn't a potentiometer an adjustable resistor? how is it used to detect the angle?

Typically you adjust a potentiometer by rotating a knob. Rotating = changing angle.

1. How does Labview help with controlling a pendulum?

Labview is a graphical programming software used to create virtual instruments for data acquisition, analysis, and control. It allows for easy integration of various sensors and inputs to control the motion of a pendulum.

2. What is the role of an IR sensor in controlling a pendulum?

An IR (Infrared) sensor is used to detect the position and movement of the pendulum. It emits infrared light and measures the reflection to determine the position of the pendulum. This information is then used to adjust the motion of the pendulum using Labview inputs.

3. Can Labview be used to control the speed and direction of a pendulum?

Yes, Labview can be used to control both the speed and direction of a pendulum. By adjusting the inputs from the IR sensor, the software can change the motion of the pendulum in real-time to achieve the desired speed and direction.

4. Is it possible to use Labview to control multiple pendulums at once?

Yes, Labview can be used to control multiple pendulums simultaneously. By using multiple IR sensors and Labview inputs, the software can adjust the motion of each pendulum individually or in synchronization with each other.

5. Do I need any prior programming experience to use Labview for controlling a pendulum?

While prior programming experience may be helpful, it is not necessary to use Labview for controlling a pendulum. The software has a user-friendly interface and offers various tutorials and resources to help users learn how to use it effectively.