1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control System Phase Lag

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed loop control system has three components, Controller, Process, and Measuring System. Each has it's own gain and phase angle. I understand how to find the total of the gain but I'm unsure as to how to find the total phase angle?

2. Relevant equations
    Total Gain=
    [itex]\frac{A*B}{1+(A*B)*C}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using this formula on the phase angle doesn't give a sensible answer. My instincts tell me that it is just straight addition? I know I've not got very far on this myself, just a nudge in the right direction would be hugely useful.

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every frequency corresponds to a complex number. That leads to a complex number for $$ \frac{A*B}{1+(A*B)*C} $$.
    The modulus of the complex number is the gain and the argument is the phase shift.

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have
    A = |A|exp(jθA)
    B = |B|exp(jθB)
    C = |C|exp(jθC)
    then combine these in your formula to get the net θ.
    You do have to know how to manipulate complex numbers both in polar and rectangular form.[/SUB]

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4

LvW

For real values of A,B and C the phase shift is (of course) zero - trivial, but unrealistic solution.
    Hence, all of these expressions must be considered to be frequency-dependent (complex expressions).
    For finding the total phase shift you have nothing to do than (a) to rewrite the transfer function and split it into a real and an imag. part, and (b) apply the definition for phase shift.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted