Welcome to the Controls Engineering Forum

In summary, becoming a control system engineer as a mechanical major may have its disadvantages, but it can also have its advantages. While electrical majors may have an advantage in the field of industrial automation and controls, it ultimately comes down to an individual's skills and abilities. Both mechanical and electrical backgrounds can be beneficial in this field, as long as one is knowledgeable and competent in their respective areas. It's important to have a strong foundation in both mechanical and electrical principles, as seen in the example of the robotic drilling project where a combination of both was necessary for success. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to make the most of their background and skills in order to excel as a control system engineer.
MEM33
Hello all,

I am a mechanical engineering major who is fascinated with control theory. At my school you can specialize in controls as either a mechanical major, or an electrical major. Does anyone know if being a mechanical major is a disadvantage at becoming a control system engineer? My research shows it is a predominately electrical major field.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure, it's a disadvantage. But it can be an advantage, also.

In my experience, the EEs involved with industrial automation & controls gravitated towards programming and electricity. Mechanical stuff like inertias, geartrain sizing, and pneumatic cylinder forces...not so much. But in the world of industrial control, everyone thinks "EE" and any "ME" trying to play in that sandbox is an undeserving interloper.

As an ME, I certainly blew up a few components because I failed to fully comprehend the electrical side of things. But I remember one painful episode with my EE co-worker. He was dead-set on gaining glory by pushing through a robotic drilling project. I did a quick check of torques and off-axis loading on the robot wrist and told him the robot he selected would not work. It simply did not have the wrist joint strength to handle the reaction loads caused by the mechanical action of drilling into & through a metal housing. He was risking chatter, broken drill bits and lots of lost production, or wrist joint failure.

He didn't believe me, or didn't want to believe. He positioned himself as the Engineering Superhero Project Manager. OK...sure. I was branded as a Negative Nelly and taken off the project. Thank Heavens. The project was a train wreck and our company had to re-purchase all of the robots and issue a refund. Ugly, gory, train wreck with no survivors. Good thing I stood my ground of solid mechanical foundation. :approve:

Disadvantages/Advantages: it's what you make of it. And how you swim through that swamp full of alligators.

1. What is controls engineering?

Controls engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on designing, implementing, and maintaining systems that control and regulate processes or machines. This can include anything from household appliances to complex industrial machinery.

2. What topics are typically discussed in the Controls Engineering Forum?

The Controls Engineering Forum covers a wide range of topics related to controls engineering, including control systems design, instrumentation, automation, process control, and more. Discussions can also include troubleshooting, best practices, and new technologies in the field.

3. Who can participate in the Controls Engineering Forum?

Anyone with an interest in controls engineering can participate in the forum. This can include professionals in the field, students, hobbyists, and anyone looking to learn more about controls engineering.

4. How can I get the most out of the Controls Engineering Forum?

To get the most out of the forum, it is recommended to actively engage in discussions, ask questions, and share your knowledge and experiences with others. It is also helpful to read through past discussions and use the search function to find relevant topics.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the Controls Engineering Forum?

Yes, the forum has a set of community guidelines that all participants are expected to follow. This includes being respectful and courteous to others, avoiding spam or self-promotion, and refraining from sharing confidential or copyrighted information. Violations of the guidelines may result in a warning or banning from the forum.