Understanding Root Locus Method: Stability and Response of Control Systems

In summary, the root locus method can tell us how a system's stability is determined, and can be used to analyse the response of a system to other inputs.
thegreengineer
Good afternoon people; recently I decided to give a study break from control engineering; now I'm back. I'm studying again control theory and I see some good results. By the way I got stuck in a topic called root locus method. Now my issue is not about how to sketch the root loci graph (BTW I got a PDF which explains it all as well as Brian Douglas's control engineering videos :) ) My issue is on the following. As far as I have seen the root locus method tell us how the stability of a control system is (i.e. whether if it is stable or unstable) and my teacher said for example: if K is between 1.5 and 1.78 then the step response of a system is overdamped or if K is less than 2.7 then the step response of the system won't present overshoot. Now you may have noticed that I underlined the words "STEP RESPONSE" on the previous quotes. Question: can root locus method tell us about the response of a system whose input is NOT the Heaviside step function (e.g. unit impulse function, sine function, ramp function) or does it only work for step input? I would appreciate your answers people. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a good question. There are good reasons for using the step response as a standard test case for evaluating control laws. It is simply defined, contains all frequencies, is similar to several things that might occur in the real world, and allows a response that is relatively easy to characterize in several important ways.

The response of a system to a step function does tell us a lot about its response to other types of inputs. The response to any input function can be analysed in terms of the frequency content of the input versus output. Since the step function contains all frequencies, the response of a system to it can tell us, frequency-by-frequency, how it will respond to other inputs.

Last edited:
Likes thegreengineer
FactChecker said:
That's a good question. There are good reasons for using the step response as a standard test case for evaluating control laws. It is simply defined, contains all frequencies, is similar to several things that might occur in the real world, and allows a response that is relatively easy to characterize in several important ways.

The response of a system to a step function does tell us a lot about its response to other types of inputs. The response to any input function can be analysed in terms of the frequency content of the input versus output. Since the step function contains all frequencies, the response of a system to it can tell us, frequency-by-frequency, how it will respond to other inputs.

Oh ya; I think I understand man. Thanks. BTW; this means that if for example if my root loci graph tells me that my response is unstable (will present exponential growth and oscilation) this means that no matter what input we feed into our system (whether if it is step, ramp, impulse, or even noise) our response will always be unstable because the stability is determined by the poles of the closed-loop transfer function (i.e. the zeros of the ch. equation), is that it?

MarcusAu314 said:
Oh ya; I think I understand man. Thanks. BTW; this means that if for example if my root loci graph tells me that my response is unstable (will present exponential growth and oscilation) this means that no matter what input we feed into our system (whether if it is step, ramp, impulse, or even noise) our response will always be unstable because the stability is determined by the poles of the closed-loop transfer function (i.e. the zeros of the ch. equation), is that it?
Exactly. Almost any input disturbance, no matter how small, will have some of the problem frequency that grows exponentially. In fact, even with no input at all, the internal workings of the system will eventually have a tiny "hickup" that will act like a tiny input and start the frequency growing.
The only exception is an input that is specifically designed to suppress the problem frequency by countering it. That can be done with the right kind of feedback which places a zero at the pole and cancels it.

Likes thegreengineer
One further note: The response of a linear system is given by it's response to the unit impulse (Dirac delta function). The response to the unit impulse can be used as the kernal to directly represent the linear system (see http://lpsa.swarthmore.edu/Transient/TransInputs/TransImpulse.html). But the unit impulse is not a normal function. It is a "pseudo-function" (aka distribution) (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function ). It is much more "down-to-earth" to use it's related integral, the unit step function, to study the response of a linear system.

Likes scottdave

What is the root locus method?

The root locus method is a graphical technique used to analyze the stability and response of a control system. It plots the location of the closed-loop poles of a system as a function of a parameter, usually the gain or proportional gain of the system. The resulting plot is called the root locus, which provides insights into the behavior of the system and helps engineers design a stable control system.

How is the root locus method used to determine stability?

The root locus method is used to determine stability by examining the location of the closed-loop poles of a system. If the closed-loop poles are located in the left half of the complex plane, the system is stable. If any of the poles are in the right half of the complex plane, the system is unstable. The number of poles in the right half plane also indicates the degree of instability.

What is the significance of the breakaway and break-in points in the root locus plot?

The breakaway and break-in points in the root locus plot are important because they indicate the critical values of the system parameter at which the closed-loop poles move from the stable region to the unstable region or vice versa. These points are important in determining the stability of the system and can help engineers design a stable control system.

How does the root locus method help in controller design?

The root locus method provides engineers with a graphical representation of a control system's stability and response. This information can help in designing an appropriate controller for the system. By examining the root locus plot, engineers can determine the ideal value for the system parameter to achieve stability and desired response characteristics.

What are the limitations of the root locus method?

The root locus method assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant. It also does not take into account the effects of disturbances or noise in the system. Additionally, the method can only be used for systems with a single parameter, such as the gain. For more complex systems, other methods such as frequency response analysis may be more appropriate.