Controlled Descent of Amateur Rocket: Ideas Needed

• Thread starter Shawnzyoo
  • Start date
In summary, the expert says that a controlled descent is a difficult task and that a large rocket is needed to carry the servos. He also says that a balloon may be a better option instead of using parachutes.
Shawnzyoo
I am going to start working on the controlled descent of an amatuer rocket
I want to go up to about 4000ft and then be able to have a controlled descent to a specific location.
I am still very very early in the process and just brainstorming ideas about GPS locators and what not.
has anyone ever done such a project? or have any suggestions
all suggestions are welcome
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Controlled descent how? Like some type of radio controlled vehicle you can glide back down to a specific landing area :cool:

possibly a radio controlled device
or a semi passive system.

How about just using a very aerodynamic r/c glider as your payload or final stage. If necessary, spring load the wings so they don't deploy until the ejection charge fires. If you use sheathed cables instead of control rods for the aelerons and elevators, that shouldn't be a problem.

if you have a rocket comming down with a parachue you will have zero control with it. the only thing you could do is use a parafoil and connect servos and use an autopilot, but that's going to be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard to do within even one years time. The glider idea is your best bet, or shoot the rocket at specific tajectories so you know where it will crash, and somehow deploy the parachute when your near impact, so you can slow down and hit the ground there. I don't take it you design autopilots or you wouldent have asked, your best bet is manually trying to control it somehow, but again, real 'iffy' if you use a standard rocket. Its got to be fairly big to carry servos, and now your no longer using a $20 estes model rocket, you need a big one and a certification and a lisence. Sorry to sound negative, but its a daunting task.

it will be a 7inch diameter tube, with a high powered motor approximately J350
(350 N of thrust)
yeah i pretty much gave up the idea of using actual parachutes
what I am thinking is deploying a large balloon that is anchored to the body in a couple of spots for rigidity
and using really small control fans to navigate it as its coming down

1. What is controlled descent of an amateur rocket?

Controlled descent of an amateur rocket is the process of safely bringing a rocket back to the ground after it has reached its desired altitude. This is achieved by utilizing various techniques and technologies to slow down the descent and control the landing.

2. Why is controlled descent important for amateur rockets?

Controlled descent is important for amateur rockets because it ensures the safety of those around the launch site and minimizes the risk of damage to the rocket itself. It also allows for the recovery of the rocket for future use.

3. What are some ideas for controlled descent of amateur rockets?

Some ideas for controlled descent of amateur rockets include using parachutes or other aerodynamic devices, using a controlled thrust system, or utilizing a combination of both methods.

4. How can the descent of an amateur rocket be controlled remotely?

The descent of an amateur rocket can be controlled remotely through the use of radio signals from a ground-based control station. The rocket can be equipped with a receiver and a mechanism to interpret and respond to these signals, allowing for remote control of its descent.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a controlled descent system for an amateur rocket?

When designing a controlled descent system for an amateur rocket, factors such as weight, size, stability, and reliability should be taken into consideration. Other important factors include the desired altitude and speed of the rocket, as well as the available budget and resources for the project.