Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controlled laser reflection

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    Does someone know a device that can reflect a laser beam in order to project an image? I remember years ago I saw a microchip that had an array of small mirrors, and was able to modify the angle of those mirrors... I think it was from Texas Instruments.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An acoustic optical deflector device or rotating mirrors.
  4. Jul 26, 2005 #3
    Thanks! Could you give me a link?
  5. Jul 26, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

Here's a link to lots of resources on laser beam deflection.

For generating a simple vector image, you can use two solenoid driven mirrors. For generating more complex raster images, you'll use one solenoid driven mirror for the y deflection, and a rotating multifacet mirror for the x deflection. In both cases, you need to be able to modulate the intensity of the beam at whatever your target video bandwidth is.
  6. Jul 26, 2005 #5

Science Advisor

The device is alive and well and is used in projection TV's. The technology compares well to plasma and LCD displays.

"DLP™ technology is a revolutionary display solution that uses an optical semiconductor to manipulate light digitally. It is a highly reliable, all-digital display chip that delivers the best picture across a broad range of products, including large screen digital TVs, and projectors for business, home, professional venue and digital cinema (DLP Cinema™). It's also a dependable technology used by leading display electronics companies worldwide, with more than 5 million systems shipped to more than 75 manufacturers since 1996.

DLP™ technology is in use wherever visual excellence is in demand. It is also a highly versatile display technology. It is the only display technology on the market that can enable the world's smallest projectors under 2-lbs., and light up the largest movie screens up to 75 feet.

The result is maximum fidelity: a picture whose clarity, brilliance and color must be seen to be believed. "
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?