Design Lead/Lag Controller for 3rd Order Transfer Function

In summary, the goal is to design a lead controller to improve the transient response of a 3rd order close loop transfer function, with a design requirement of reducing the settling time from 2.85s to 1.2s. The systematic approach is to calculate the real part of the dominant poles and place the zero of the compensator over the real pole of the plant. The position of the compensator's pole is then calculated to achieve the desired angle condition.
dEEP6ix
I need to design a lead/lag controller for the following 3rd order close loop transfer function using the root locus method:

(11.35)(1.62)
-------------------------------
(s^2 + 1.84 s + 11.35)(s + 1.62)

The design requirement is just to reduce the settling time from the orginal 2.85s to 1.2s for a unit step input. I have tried adding a lead controller hoping to improve the transient response of the system. However, I soon discovered that I was just varying the gain, zero and pole in a trial and error method and it is getting me nowhere.

I have tried looking for information in control textbook but most of the examples are on 2nd order system. Those examples on higher order systems are always approximated to 2nd order systems which could not be done in the above transfer function.

Is there any systematic approach to zero/pole placement for higher order systems? Should I use a lag compensator instead? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?72420b1ba8.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6b83e7173f.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dEEP6ix said:
I need to design a lead/lag controller for the following 3rd order close loop transfer function using the root locus method:

(11.35)(1.62)
-------------------------------
(s^2 + 1.84 s + 11.35)(s + 1.62)

The design requirement is just to reduce the settling time from the orginal 2.85s to 1.2s for a unit step input. I have tried adding a lead controller hoping to improve the transient response of the system. However, I soon discovered that I was just varying the gain, zero and pole in a trial and error method and it is getting me nowhere.

I have tried looking for information in control textbook but most of the examples are on 2nd order system. Those examples on higher order systems are always approximated to 2nd order systems which could not be done in the above transfer function.

Is there any systematic approach to zero/pole placement for higher order systems? Should I use a lag compensator instead? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?72420b1ba8.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6b83e7173f.jpg

A lag compensator will only improve your steady-state response (reduction of ss error). For improving transient response you need a lead compensator.
Since you want a 1.2s settling time, you can calculate the real part of your dominant poles.
Normally yoou would want the damping coefficient to remain constant. Now you can calculate the desired position of your dominant poles. Since you want those poles to belong to the root-locus, you want that the angles from them to the open loop poles and zeros (including plant and compensator) to be an odd multiple of 180.
Place the zero of the compensator over the real pole of the plant and calculate the position of the pole of the compensator in order to achieve the angle condition.

I would first suggest approaching the design of a lead/lag controller for a 3rd order transfer function using a systematic approach rather than trial and error. This will ensure a more efficient and effective design process.

One approach could be to use the root locus method, as mentioned in the question. This method involves plotting the roots of the characteristic equation of the closed-loop system as a function of a parameter (such as the gain or controller parameters) and analyzing the resulting locus to determine the stability and performance of the system.

To design a lead/lag controller using this method, the first step would be to determine the desired closed-loop pole locations for the specified settling time of 1.2s. These pole locations can be determined using the desired damping ratio and natural frequency for the system. Once the desired pole locations are determined, the lead/lag controller can be designed to shift the closed-loop poles to these locations.

Another approach could be to use frequency response techniques, such as Bode plots, to design the controller. This method involves analyzing the frequency response of the system and designing the controller to achieve the desired performance specifications, such as reducing the settling time.

In terms of whether to use a lag or lead compensator, it depends on the specific system and the desired performance specifications. A lag compensator is typically used to improve steady-state error, while a lead compensator is used to improve transient response. In this case, since the design requirement is to reduce the settling time, a lead compensator may be more suitable.

In conclusion, a systematic approach, such as the root locus method or frequency response techniques, should be used to design a lead/lag controller for a 3rd order transfer function. This will ensure a more efficient and effective design process and help achieve the desired performance specifications.

1. What is a design lead/lag controller for a 3rd order transfer function?

A design lead/lag controller is a type of feedback controller used in control systems to improve the performance of a 3rd order transfer function. It consists of a combination of a lead compensator and a lag compensator, which are designed to adjust the phase and gain of the transfer function to achieve the desired response.

2. How does a design lead/lag controller work?

A design lead/lag controller works by modifying the frequency response of the 3rd order transfer function. The lead compensator adds a phase lead to the transfer function, which helps to improve the transient response, while the lag compensator adds a phase lag to improve the steady-state response. Together, they can improve the overall performance of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using a design lead/lag controller?

The main advantage of using a design lead/lag controller is that it can improve the stability and performance of a 3rd order transfer function. It can also help to reduce overshoot, improve settling time, and increase the system's bandwidth. Additionally, lead/lag controllers are relatively simple to design and implement.

4. What are the limitations of a design lead/lag controller?

One limitation of a design lead/lag controller is that it cannot improve the performance of a system beyond its physical limitations. It is also important to carefully tune the parameters of the lead/lag compensators to avoid instability or unwanted oscillations. Additionally, a design lead/lag controller may not be suitable for systems with highly nonlinear behavior.

5. How is a design lead/lag controller designed?

A design lead/lag controller is typically designed using techniques such as root locus, Bode plots, and frequency response analysis. The goal is to find the optimal values for the lead and lag compensators that will improve the system's performance while maintaining stability. Computer-aided design tools such as MATLAB and Simulink can also be used to design and simulate the controller's performance before implementation.