Controlling a vibrating motor?

In summary, a biology student is seeking advice on how to control a small vibrating motor for a project. The motor is similar to those found in mobile phones and is powered by one AAA 1.5V battery. The student wants the motor to vibrate for a couple of seconds every 15 minutes over an 8-hour period. They also need to control 20 identical motors simultaneously. They are looking for guidance on what devices and resources they may need to achieve this. The solution may involve simply turning the DC supply voltage on and off and using a single transistor to drive the motors.
alexmuntz
Hello,

I am a biology student working on my masters and i have to control a small vibrating motor (like http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/51129609/dc_micro_motor_vibration_motor_small.html) and have no experience with electronics and such.
i would like the motor to vibrate for a couple of seconds, every 15mins, over the period of 8 hours let's say… the motor is very much like those found in mobile phones. it’s powered by one AAA 1.5V battery.

What do I need to connect it to, in order to control it this way?
second deal: i need to control 20 identical motors at the same time, in the same way..

id be glad to know at least what i need, the devices and maybe ressources to get me further.

Thank you for your time!

Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nothing fancy, just turn the DC supply voltage on/off.

These motors draw about 85 ma at 3V supply. You may be able to drive it with a single transistor.

1. How does a vibrating motor work?

A vibrating motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. It contains an off-center weight attached to a rotating shaft, which causes the motor to vibrate when it spins.

2. What factors affect the vibration intensity of a motor?

The vibration intensity of a motor can be affected by the size and weight of the off-center weight, the speed of the rotating shaft, and the power of the electrical current supplied to the motor.

3. How can I control the speed of a vibrating motor?

The speed of a vibrating motor can be controlled by adjusting the power supply voltage or by using a motor controller, which can vary the frequency and amplitude of the electrical signal to the motor.

4. Can I change the direction of vibration in a motor?

Yes, the direction of vibration in a motor can be changed by reversing the polarity of the electrical current, which will cause the off-center weight to rotate in the opposite direction.

5. What are some common applications for vibrating motors?

Vibrating motors are commonly used in devices such as cell phones, game controllers, and fitness equipment. They are also used in industrial applications for tasks such as conveying materials and compacting concrete.