Control Winch Speed: Power Supply & PWM Solutions

• Thread starter pdfmech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Winch
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to control two winches for a senior design project. The winches should have a line speed of 0.2 feet per second and be able to handle a load of 30 pounds. The selected winch is bidirectional and has a line pull rating of 2000 pounds. It draws 100 amps at full line pull and moves at a speed of 2.5 feet per second. The group is seeking suggestions on how to control the speed, with a friend suggesting using pulse width modulation on the in and out controls. They also discuss the feasibility of using a DC motor powered by a battery and the potential need for a power supply for AC. It is noted that varying the voltage into
pdfmech
Hello Everyone. As part of my senior design project my group need to be able to control two winches. They need to have a line speed around 0.2 feet per second but that speed needs to change a bit over time. The load we are moving with these two winches is no more than 30 pounds. I have selected a winch http://www.superwinch.com/products/productdetail/part_number=1220210/4377.0.1.1 [Broken] that is bidirectional and has a line pull rating of 2000 pounds. At full line pull it draws 100 amps (12 V) and moves 2.5 feet per second. How would I go about controlling this winch. A friend suggested that we use the in and out controls and apply a pulse width modulation to them to control speed. Is these a good way of controlling speed? An suggestions? This is a DC motor design to run off a battery. What kind of power supply would I need to run one of these off AC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think it is feasible to vary the voltage into these winches. I would want to disect one before I attempted it.

1. How does the power supply affect the speed of the winch?

The power supply provides the necessary electrical energy for the winch to operate. The voltage and current output of the power supply determines the speed at which the winch motor rotates. A higher voltage and current will result in a faster speed, while a lower voltage and current will result in a slower speed.

2. What is PWM and how does it control the speed of the winch?

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation and it is a technique used to control the speed of the winch motor. It works by rapidly switching the power supply on and off, creating pulses of different widths. The length of the pulses determines the amount of power being delivered to the motor, thus controlling its speed.

3. What are the advantages of using PWM for winch speed control?

PWM offers precise control over the speed of the winch, as it can vary the power output in small increments. It also allows for efficient use of power, as it only delivers the necessary amount of power for the required speed. Additionally, PWM is a simple and cost-effective solution for controlling winch speed.

4. Can I use any power supply for my winch?

No, it is important to use a power supply that is compatible with your winch's motor specifications. The power supply should be able to provide the required voltage and current for the motor to operate at its optimal speed. Using the wrong power supply can damage the winch motor and affect its performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a PWM solution for winch speed control?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using a PWM solution. Make sure to use a power supply that is appropriate for your winch and to properly connect and secure all components. It is also recommended to regularly inspect and maintain the winch and its components for any signs of wear or damage.