Choosing Between Aerospace and Control Engineering

In summary, a student is considering a career in aerospace and is considering different fields to specialize in. He is worried about the electrics and electronics needed to specialize in control engineering, but is reassured by the fact that the field has a lot of applications in aerospace. He would like to know what disciplines are important in the field.
vinicius0197
Hey everyone. I'm a student of Mechanical Engineering right now and even if I'm still a few years ahead to choose a field to major in, I like to have something in mind to focus on.

First of all, I really appreciate the aerospace field. Airplanes and spacecraft were my main motivation in choosing mechanical engineering. Where I live, there is the opportunity of getting enrolled in a Msc program in aeronautics and the possibility of being employed by a major aerospace company. I really like aerodynamics and propulsion, so I think this would be a great master's degree. However, it's very specific, and I've been thinking about my employability outside the aerospace industry too.

I do like control theory, besides. I've been searching for control engineering and systems, and it looks like a promising field. Beyond that, it has a lot of applications in aerospace. What worries me is that looks like control engineering requires a lot of insight in electrics and electronics, and I'm not sure I will get those by being a mechanical engineer.

My question is: how much electrics and electronics I would need to specialize myself in controls engineering? And what kind of major should I do to become one control engineer? Could you please tell me some important disciplines in the field?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only reason there are so many EE in control laws is that both study feedback and stability of systems. If you like those subjects, you might as well study it in an Aero control law class. You wouldn't need to know much EE that is not control law oriented. Flight controls used to be electronic circuits, but modern ones calculate their surface commands on digital computers.

Thread closed at request of @vinicius0197 who prefers to have no answers rather than wait more than a day.

1. What is the purpose of controls in aeronautics?

Controls in aeronautics are used to manipulate the movement and direction of an aircraft. They include the primary flight controls, such as the ailerons, elevator, and rudder, as well as secondary controls like flaps and spoilers. These controls are essential for the safe and efficient operation of an aircraft.

2. How do airplane controls work?

Airplane controls work by changing the airflow over the wings and control surfaces, which in turn affects the lift, drag, and stability of the aircraft. The pilot uses the control yoke, pedals, and other mechanisms to move the control surfaces and change the direction and attitude of the aircraft.

3. What are the different types of aircraft controls?

The primary flight controls of an aircraft are the ailerons, elevator, and rudder. These are used to control the roll, pitch, and yaw of the aircraft, respectively. Secondary controls, such as flaps, slats, and spoilers, are also used to adjust the lift and drag of the aircraft.

4. How do pilots learn to use airplane controls?

Pilots learn to use airplane controls through extensive training and practice. This includes learning the different types of controls, their functions, and how to operate them in various flight situations. Pilots also undergo regular recurrent training to maintain their skills and proficiency in using airplane controls.

5. What are the safety measures for airplane controls?

There are several safety measures in place for airplane controls to ensure the safety of the aircraft and its passengers. These include regular maintenance and inspections of the controls, redundancy systems in case of failure, and strict adherence to protocols and procedures by pilots. Additionally, advanced technologies and computer systems are continuously being developed to improve the safety and reliability of airplane controls.