1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Controls or Aeronautics?

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone. I'm a student of Mechanical Engineering right now and even if I'm still a few years ahead to choose a field to major in, I like to have something in mind to focus on.

First of all, I really appreciate the aerospace field. Airplanes and spacecraft were my main motivation in choosing mechanical engineering. Where I live, there is the opportunity of getting enrolled in a Msc program in aeronautics and the possibility of being employed by a major aerospace company. I really like aerodynamics and propulsion, so I think this would be a great master's degree. However, it's very specific, and I've been thinking about my employability outside the aerospace industry too.

I do like control theory, besides. I've been searching for control engineering and systems, and it looks like a promising field. Beyond that, it has a lot of applications in aerospace. What worries me is that looks like control engineering requires a lot of insight in electrics and electronics, and I'm not sure I will get those by being a mechanical engineer.

My question is: how much electrics and electronics I would need to specialize myself in controls engineering? And what kind of major should I do to become one control engineer? Could you please tell me some important disciplines in the field?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only reason there are so many EE in control laws is that both study feedback and stability of systems. If you like those subjects, you might as well study it in an Aero control law class. You wouldn't need to know much EE that is not control law oriented. Flight controls used to be electronic circuits, but modern ones calculate their surface commands on digital computers.

4. Nov 19, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed at request of @vinicius0197 who prefers to have no answers rather than wait more than a day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook