Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controls/Signals Processor - Transitioning from Academia to Industry

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    So I'm currently in graduate school for control systems/Signal processing (1st year) - Just curious if I decided to end with just a masters (which is only 1-1.5 more years of school), would I be ready for those jobs. What i'm discovering is that a job that really seems to use these skills (controls/signal proc.)

1) - are either uncommon
    OR
    2) are in conjunction with requiring knowing lots of hardware - FPGAs, hardware micros - doing board layouts - tons of stuff that I either decided not to take/specialize in while in college (undergrad) as a result of wanting a math minor to prepare for grad school in controls/signal proc.

The only hardware experience I have is that I know C++ (not for embedded systems though) and I took a handful of analog electronics courses for my UG degree - although it was still paper/pencil design and minimal lab experience and I never came close to getting a natural feel for it.

If i went ahead and took the typical controls signal processing courses for grad students in my area (which I have started) which includes various DSP/Stochastic sig Proces/nonlinear & linear sys/optimal control/robust control/convex optimization.. etc etc - how much would these help me? Should I jump ship and start studying hardware and making personal projects or are these mathematical/theory heavy topics actually valued in industry.

Does anyone with a masters in signal processing/ controls have experience that can shed some light on this? I nearly faint when I see the "applications" and lists of hardware skills preferred on job applicant resumes.

And yes, I do want to certainly end up in industry.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted