1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controls/Signals Processor - Transitioning from Academia to Industry

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    So I'm currently in graduate school for control systems/Signal processing (1st year) - Just curious if I decided to end with just a masters (which is only 1-1.5 more years of school), would I be ready for those jobs. What i'm discovering is that a job that really seems to use these skills (controls/signal proc.)

1) - are either uncommon
    OR
    2) are in conjunction with requiring knowing lots of hardware - FPGAs, hardware micros - doing board layouts - tons of stuff that I either decided not to take/specialize in while in college (undergrad) as a result of wanting a math minor to prepare for grad school in controls/signal proc.

The only hardware experience I have is that I know C++ (not for embedded systems though) and I took a handful of analog electronics courses for my UG degree - although it was still paper/pencil design and minimal lab experience and I never came close to getting a natural feel for it.

If i went ahead and took the typical controls signal processing courses for grad students in my area (which I have started) which includes various DSP/Stochastic sig Proces/nonlinear & linear sys/optimal control/robust control/convex optimization.. etc etc - how much would these help me? Should I jump ship and start studying hardware and making personal projects or are these mathematical/theory heavy topics actually valued in industry.

Does anyone with a masters in signal processing/ controls have experience that can shed some light on this? I nearly faint when I see the "applications" and lists of hardware skills preferred on job applicant resumes.

And yes, I do want to certainly end up in industry.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted