1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controls System Question

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    I'm attempting to solve a control systems problem, however I'm stuck on the first step.

The system is specified with a difference equation:
    [tex]y(k+2)+y(k+1)+0.16y(k)=u(k+1)+2u(k)[/tex]

So I need to convert this back onto the usual pulse transfer function form to use one of the standard methods of deriving the matrix.

The thing is I can't get to the transfer function. Due to the k shifts there are all of the initial condition constant terms such as z*y(0) that don't appear in the solutions at all.

Neither the problem or the solution specify that those conditions are zero. Are the initial conditions just being ignored, or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By definition, a transfer function assumes zero initial conditions.

What matrix? Are you looking for the z transform?

4. Jun 9, 2014 #3
    I need to get the whole system into some form of state space equation.

So I was going to take the z transform of that difference equation, then take the zeros and poles of that z domain transfer function to get the G and H matrices of the state space representation.

5. Jun 9, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

Yes that is a correct method

note: I have always referred to the state space matrices as A,B,C & D.
    I am assuming G & H are the system dynamics and input effects matrices respectivly

6. Jun 9, 2014 #5
    Yes. For reference I'm using the Discrete Time Controls systems textbook by Ogata.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted