Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controversy is a part of PF

1. Jun 25, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

It may be that controversy is a part of PF, but if one wants a pure non reactive
    thread ,is it beyond the moderators to purify a thread?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What did you have in mind?

4. Jun 25, 2005 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is an excellent thread in GA&C (the testablity of your model), started by wolfram, which had been attracting some OT posts. I cleaned it up some.

However, I think wolfram's point has merit, in general - where there is very good idea for a thread with a well-defined, constrained scope, is there a way for the OP to ask that posts to that thread stay within scope, and for mods to delete posts which don't?

5. Jun 25, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Neried, for your support.

6. Jun 25, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's in the Posting Guidelines

"Any off-topic posts will be deleted or moved to an approprite forum as per administrator & moderator discretion."

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

7. Jun 25, 2005 #6

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So perhaps the mods - other than Evo of course - need to exercise their discretion a tad more often, no?

8. Jun 26, 2005 #7
    Happens to me all the time. The letters getting into the wrong places. But this is off topic of course. :redface:

9. Jun 27, 2005 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feel free to PM me if you have such concerns, wolram.
    As noted, we can clean up topics that go astray.

10. Jul 1, 2005 #9

hellfire

Science Advisor

Shouldn't the whole testability thread be moved to theory development? I have soms difficulties to understand why some posts are moved, but others (related to personal theories of PF members) are not. Nothing against these theories and these PF members, but I find this very confusing.

11. Jul 1, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just consider Theory Development to be a waste bin for the untestable theories. The moderators help sift out what's legitimate discussion and what isn't, but if you see something that you think may be questionable, you can always send a private message to a mentor and ask for clarification. They may have not seen a thread in a busy forum, or may have chosen to let it stand for a reason they can explain to you.

12. Jul 5, 2005 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been cutting slack while we worked on this...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=81172

Like Moonbear said, some threads are easy to identify for the TD bin. Others, while non-mainstream, still present good discussions for consideration and we may not want to have it lost in TD. Now we will have a specific forum for these interesting discussions and we will no longer host what used to be sent to TD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?