Conv. Conditionally Proff

• Thread starter DEMJ
  • Start date
In summary, if a_k is a decreasing sequence with a limit of 0 as k approaches infinity, and the series b_k from k+1 to infinity converges conditionally, then the series of a_k b_k from k=1 to infinity will also converge. However, this statement is false as demonstrated by the counterexample where a_k = 1/sqrt(k) and b_k = (-1)^k/sqrt(k).
DEMJ

Homework Statement

If [tex]a_k[/tex] is decreasing and it's limit is 0 as [tex]k \to \infty[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{k+1}^{\infty} b_k[/tex] converges conditionally, then [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k b_k[/tex] converges

Homework Equations

This is true or false.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is false because if we let [tex]a_k = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}, b_k= \frac{(-1)^k}{\sqrt{k}}[/tex] we satisfy our initial conditions but [tex]a_k \cdot b_k = \frac{1}{k}[/tex] so [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k b_k[/tex] diverges.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you missed a (-1)^k in the a_k term?

that would make [tex]a_k b_k = \frac{(-1)^{2k}}{k}[/tex] which is convergent, I think. I meant what I put but apparently it does not work?

isn't it
[tex]a_k b_k = \frac{(-1)^{2k}}{k} = \frac{((-1)^2)^k}{k} = \frac{1}{k}[/tex]

i wasn't sure where the alternating negative went in your 1st post...

lanedance said:
isn't it
[tex]a_k b_k = \frac{(-1)^{2k}}{k} = \frac{((-1)^2)^k}{k} = \frac{1}{k}[/tex]

i wasn't sure where the alternating negative went in your 1st post...
You are right, I owned my self by basic algebra :tongue2:

1. What is Conv. Conditionally Proff?

Conv. Conditionally Proff is a scientific term that stands for Convex Conditionally Provable. It refers to a mathematical property that describes the convexity of a set of equations or statements. Conv. Conditionally Proff is often used in the field of optimization and decision making.

2. How is Conv. Conditionally Proff different from Convexity?

Convexity is a more general term that describes the shape of a set of equations or statements. It means that the set is curved or has a bowl-like shape. Conv. Conditionally Proff, on the other hand, is a more specific property that describes the convexity of a set under certain conditions or assumptions.

3. What are the conditions for Conv. Conditionally Proff to hold?

The conditions for Conv. Conditionally Proff to hold depend on the specific set of equations or statements being analyzed. However, in general, Conv. Conditionally Proff holds when the set is convex and certain additional constraints or assumptions are met.

4. How is Conv. Conditionally Proff used in scientific research?

Conv. Conditionally Proff is often used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the best solution among a set of possible options. By analyzing the convexity of the set of equations or statements, researchers can determine the feasibility and optimality of different solutions and make more informed decisions.

5. Are there any limitations to Conv. Conditionally Proff?

Yes, there are limitations to Conv. Conditionally Proff. It is a mathematical property that is based on certain assumptions and conditions. If these assumptions are not met, Conv. Conditionally Proff may not hold, and the results may not be accurate. Additionally, Conv. Conditionally Proff is not applicable to all types of mathematical problems, and it is important to consider other factors when making decisions.