Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection Diffusion Equation

1. Aug 30, 2017 #1
    I'm tinkering with the Convection Diffusion Equation (a second order differential equation) to model a temperature behavior in proximity to a heat source in a water bath. Just to get going I solved the system for some arbitrarily chosen boundary conditions. The result is that the temperature at the ambient boundary has a derivative that isn't zero. This is sort of okay in my solution as it is only meant to show a likely temperature behavior. But how do I tackle this problem if I like to solve it with a boundary condition such as u'(1)=0, i.e. x=1 is at ambient temperature. The problem I have with this is that if I chose an exponential solution such as u(x) = C1 + C2 exp(x) I get C2 = 0 when I try to find the constants C.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2017 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I believe this is usually handled by letting your C2 by a polynomial and solving for the boundary conditions.

4. Aug 30, 2017 #3
    Okay, so C2 equals some function f(x)? A linear function..?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted