1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection Diffusion Equation

1. Aug 30, 2017 #1
    I'm tinkering with the Convection Diffusion Equation (a second order differential equation) to model a temperature behavior in proximity to a heat source in a water bath. Just to get going I solved the system for some arbitrarily chosen boundary conditions. The result is that the temperature at the ambient boundary has a derivative that isn't zero. This is sort of okay in my solution as it is only meant to show a likely temperature behavior. But how do I tackle this problem if I like to solve it with a boundary condition such as u'(1)=0, i.e. x=1 is at ambient temperature. The problem I have with this is that if I chose an exponential solution such as u(x) = C1 + C2 exp(x) I get C2 = 0 when I try to find the constants C.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2017 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I believe this is usually handled by letting your C2 by a polynomial and solving for the boundary conditions.

4. Aug 30, 2017 #3
    Okay, so C2 equals some function f(x)? A linear function..?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted