1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection heat transfer

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    Hello, my problem is the following:

I have an iron bar, which can be heated by convection through an electric cable with power Q.
    I want to know the temperature of the iron bar after 1 hour has passed, both in the case when the power is
    turned on and when it is off (Q=0).

the input parameters are the temperature of the iron bar at instant zero and the environmente temperature,
    the output is the new temperature of the iron bar after 1 hour.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2
  4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    no it is not an homework problem, I have a solution which is

T_final = F + Q/(u*A*L)

where F is the formula that updates the temperature and it works quite well.
    The term

Q/(u*A*L)

represents the increment of temperature due to the electric cable, where Q is the power, u the coefficient of convective exchange, A the area of the iron bar and L the length of the cable. I want to check the correctness of the term Q/(u*A*L), if you may help me.

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4
    I have an iron bar not insulated, of length 6 meters, heigth 28 cm and width 4 cm, hence the area is 1.68 m^2 and the mass is 529.13 Kg.
    The heat capacity of iron is 450 J/Kg*K.
    The thermal conductivity of iron is 0.023 W/m*K.
    The thermal expansion coefficient is 0.0037 C^-1.
    The density of air is 1.30 Kg/m^3.
    The dynamic viscosity of air is 17.157 * 10^-6 Pa*sec.
    I assume that at time zero the internal temperature of the iron bar is 5 degrees Celsius, the external temperature is -4 degrees Celsius (the bar is not insulated).
    The power Q that pass through the cable is 22,5 KWatt, and the length of the cable is 14 meters, the heat transfer between the cable and the iron bar is by convection.

I need to know after 1 hour has passed the new internal temperature of the iron bar.

Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook