Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection- is this it

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    Realising that all is not well when we're just moving not thinking, I began to think about a trivial thing which has been around me for too long. What actually is convection? If it is governed by difference in density causing the masses to flow, is this not atleast distantly, similar to a pressure wave?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may want to ask a more specific (detail) question after having looked at wikipedia (or this ) .

I see little reason to re-hash what it says there.

It's not similar to a pressure wave: there is no restoring force, hence no wave character involved.

4. Feb 3, 2016 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There absolutely can be a wave character involved (e.g. Rayleigh-Bénard convection). However, it's not the same as a pressure wave.

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Convection refers to some property (temperature, pressure, etc.) of a gas or liquid moving because the molecules of the gas or liquid themselves move.

6. Feb 3, 2016 #5
    In a pressure wave the average location of particles is the same, however, in some forms of convection too, the average location is the same, but motion is non linear. The temperature causes pressure that extends, whereas gravity effect differences cause forces that restore. I guess forced convection is farther from what could be seen an harmonic behaviour.

7. Feb 3, 2016 #6
    The clear distinction is that pressure travel is governed by a property purely possessed by the medium, while here it depends on properties of outside bodies that affect motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook