1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection question

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could help explain how the following shapes would affect convection. What it is is a heat plate with nothing, a bundle of tubes, and just fins. It's in a vertical tube and the air flows upwards. I understand convection but I don't get how it would be affected in terms of a physical object such as these in its path.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/718/heatplatesf1.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rule of thumb I use is that flow lines just downstream of an obstacle get very close to their far-away away structure within a distance comparable to the width of the obstacle. So if the tubes have a diameter d, then at a distance d downstream from each tube, the flow-lines are essentially homogenized again. For some shapes (tear-drop, for instance), this distance can be much smaller than the width of the object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook