1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convective heat transfer coefficient issue

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    I am working on the simulation of a heater in ANSYS. I'll explain the geometry:
    - Top plate - Ceramic Porcelain material - 2.65in x 4.8in x 0.06in - carries a small heater (2in x 0.125in x 0.01in) on top of it which generates 18W of heat.
    - Bottom heater - 5.8in x 3.65in x 0.03in - Stainless steel plate
    - Air gap between the two heaters - 0.01in

The top small heater power runs constantly for 4.5 minutes and the plate has a convection coefficient of 30 W/m2C. The bottom heater start running 30 seconds after the top heater starts and goes from ambient temperature (24.85 C) to 400C.

I am including radiation effect between the bottom layer of top plate and upper layer of bottom plate. I am mainly concerned about the convection coefficient to be used for air. I am unable to get a proper value of the coefficient to be used. Can someone help me with the calculations? Am I missing something very basic?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook