1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conventional Current?

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    Conventional Current???

Hi guys,

I have a pretty simple conceptual problem that has been bugging me for a while. In a D.C. circuit, the conventional current moves from higher potential to lower potential. But the electron flow is opposite that of the conventional current. That means that the electrons move from lower potential to higher potential?? How can that be possible, since the heat loss in the wires should arise in electron flow from higher to lower potential.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

When a charge moves from potential V1 to V2, work done = q(V2-V1). This work done is manifested as heat loss. Since q for an electron is negative, V2-V1 is also negative to make work done positive, => v2<V1.
  4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so you can consider charges with the polarity in the electrostatic equations! Well, i guess my teacher was too lazy and taught the topic using modulus.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?