Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conventional Current

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    I understand, thanks to basic physics concepts, that when the electrons flow through the circuit from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, the conventional flows from the positive terminal to the negative.

Am I right in thinking that in firing an electron beam, the conventional current produced is actually directed back into the source producing it?

May be quite simple but it's quite difficult to try and imagine.

Thanks for all help in advance,
    LanguageNerd.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2
    I too had the confusion but consider it as taking and giving charges. Let us consider a 5 C charge system. Take 1 C to it, you get 4 C. Give -1 C to it, you get same 4 C charge system. This is a simple argument to show that the direction of current (positive charge) is opposite to the flow of electrons.

4. Jan 19, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is correct. For example, if you put a coil of wire and let these electrons pass through the center, then the induced current in the coil is in the same direction as if you have positive charges going the opposite direction.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook