Converge or Diverge: 4^n/e^n^5

• Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining whether the series (Sigma) 4^n/e^n^5 converges or diverges. The original attempt at a solution involved comparing it to a known geometric series, but this was proven to be incorrect. The correct approach is to use the integral test, as suggested by the teacher. The conversation also briefly mentions the root test, but it is determined to be incorrect as well. In the end, it is agreed that the integral test is the best method for solving the problem.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

does the series (Sigma) 4^n/e^n^5 converge or diverge?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

just got out of a test where this was asked and my teacher told me I had to use the integral test however I think using direct comparison to a known geometric series could work as well. here is what i thought of...

4^n/e^n^5 < 1/e^n^5 , where the latter is a convergent geometric series (constant raised to a variable power) that n^5 is throwing me off but does my reasoning make sense at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
srfriggen said:

Homework Statement

does the series (Sigma) 4^n/e^n^5 converge or diverge?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

just got out of a test where this was asked and my teacher told me I had to use the integral test however I think using direct comparison to a known geometric series could work as well. here is what i thought of...

4^n/e^n^5 < 1/e^n^5 , where the latter is a convergent geometric series (constant raised to a variable power) that n^5 is throwing me off but does my reasoning make sense at all?

Your inequality is going the wrong way. 4^n > 1 for n > 1, so 4^n/e^n^5 > 1/e^n^5 for n > 1. Now you have the situation where the arbitrary term of your series is larger than the corresponding term of a convergent series, so this comparison doesn't do you any good.

If your teacher suggests the integral test I would bet that the problem is mis-printed and should have been

[tex]\sum \frac{n^4}{e^{n^5}}[/tex]

Yep, the integral test would be best here. Do a u-substitution where u = x^5 and you can go from there

Is there any other way to do it other than the integral test?

srfriggen said:
Is there any other way to do it other than the integral test?

Have you asked your teacher if the problem was mis-printed as I suspect?

Kurtz u r right I copied it onto this forum incorrectly.

On another note, is 1/e^n^5 a geo series?

srfriggen said:
Kurtz u r right I copied it onto this forum incorrectly.

On another note, is 1/e^n^5 a geo series?

That is ambiguous as written. I suppose you mean:

[tex]\frac 1 {e^{(n^5)}}[/tex]

Remember that a sequence {an} is geometric if

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = r[/tex]

a common ratio r, for all n. Does that work for your sequence?

I honestly don't know, tho I suppose u could show convergence by saying 1/e^(n^5) < 1/e^n ? Where l 1/e l < 1 ?

On another note, if u used the root test on the series we were talking about would u get:

n^(4/n) / e^(1^5) ((divide all n's by n))

which as n -> infinity the expression goes to 1/e?

That is what I originally tried on my test and she told me to start over after looking at it. :/

srfriggen said:
Kurtz u r right

srfriggen said:
I honestly don't know, tho I suppose u could

If you read the rules of these forums you will see they discourage "baby talk". It doesn't take much more energy to type the whole words, which you mostly do.
show convergence by saying 1/e^(n^5) < 1/e^n ? Where l 1/e l < 1 ?

What about the n4 in the numerator?

On another note, if u used the root test on the series we were talking about would u get:

n^(4/n) / e^(1^5) ((divide all n's by n))

No, the denominator is wrong.

Sorry my computer won start so I'm typing on an iPhone.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to deal with the integral test.

srfriggen said:
Sorry my computer won start so I'm typing on an iPhone.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to deal with the integral test.

Not much to deal with; the problem is all set up for it and it's easy.

:wink:

True. I just like trying to tackle things in more ways than one. I find it expands my understanding of the concepts better.

Thanks again for you responses. Much appreciated! :)

What is the significance of the exponent in "4^n/e^n^5"?

The exponent represents the number of times the base, 4 and e respectively, is multiplied by itself. In this case, the base 4 is multiplied by itself n times, while the base e is multiplied by itself n^5 times.

What is the limit of "4^n/e^n^5" as n approaches infinity?

The limit of "4^n/e^n^5" as n approaches infinity is 0. This is because as n becomes larger and larger, the exponential term with the larger exponent (e^n^5) dominates and causes the overall fraction to approach 0.

How does the value of n affect the convergence or divergence of "4^n/e^n^5"?

The value of n determines whether the fraction "4^n/e^n^5" will converge or diverge. If n is a positive value, the fraction will converge to 0. If n is a negative value, the fraction will diverge to infinity.

What is the difference between convergence and divergence?

Convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as its terms approach a specific limit or value. In the case of "4^n/e^n^5", convergence means that as n becomes larger, the fraction approaches the limit of 0. On the other hand, divergence refers to a sequence or series that does not have a limit or approaches infinity. In this case, if n is a negative value, the fraction will diverge to infinity.

How is "4^n/e^n^5" related to exponential growth and decay?

The fraction "4^n/e^n^5" is related to exponential growth and decay in that the bases, 4 and e, represent the growth or decay factors, while the exponent, n, represents the number of growth or decay cycles. As n increases, the fraction can either approach 0 (decay) or infinity (growth).