Does (1+1/n)^2n converge or diverge? And how to approach arctan x?

• Thread starter appplejack
  • Start date
In summary: It may help you understand why it diverges as x goes to infinity.In summary, the first problem asks for the convergence or divergence of the sequence (1+1/n)^2n, which simplifies to the limit of (1+1/n)^n as n goes towards infinity. This limit is equal to e, so when squared, the sequence converges to e^2. For the second problem, the limit of arctan x as x goes towards infinity is infinity, showing that the sequence diverges.
appplejack

Homework Statement

I need to find whether the sequence converges or diverges
1.(1+ 1/n)^2n

2.arctan x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. My answer is wrong but I don't know how I can get the right answer
My answer
(1 + 1/n) ^2n becomes 1 because 1/n tends to zero and 2n become infinitely big and
1 ^ infinity is 1. So the answer is 1 but the answer key says e^2

2. I don't know how to approach it

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The limit of (1+ 1/n)^n as n goes towards infinity is e. Since the question asks (1+ 1/n)^2n the answer is e^2.

Just take the limit of (1+ 1/n)^2n as n goes towards infinity.

2. the limit as arctan(n) goes to inifinity is infinity, thus arctan(n) diverges.

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left (\left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n \right)^2[/tex]
[tex]\left ( \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n \right)^2[/tex]

So let's just ignore the squaring for now. Whatever we find, we will square it.

[tex] I =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n[/tex]

[tex] ln(I) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} ln\left (\left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n \right )[/tex]
[tex] ln(I) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} nln\left (1+\frac{1}{n} \right )[/tex]

This is an indeterminate form of zero times infinity. Let
[tex] N = \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
then
[tex] ln(I) =\lim_{n\rightarrow 0} \frac{ln\left (1+N \right )}{N}[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

For number 2, have you looked at the graph of arctan x?

1. What does it mean for a series to converge or diverge?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of an infinite series. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are various tests and criteria that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. Some of the commonly used tests include the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series and examining the behavior of the terms in the series.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges when the absolute values of its terms are used. This means that the signs of the terms do not affect the convergence of the series. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a series that converges when the absolute values of its terms are used, but diverges when the signs of the terms are changed. In other words, the signs of the terms in a conditionally convergent series play a crucial role in determining its convergence.

4. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either converge or diverge, but not both. However, some series may exhibit behavior that is neither clearly convergent nor divergent, and in such cases, we say that the series is indeterminate.

5. How do you use the divergence test to determine the divergence of a series?

The divergence test states that if the limit of the terms in a series is not equal to zero, then the series diverges. In other words, if the terms of a series do not approach zero, the series will not converge. However, it is important to note that this test can only be used to determine divergence, and it cannot be used to prove convergence.