Convergence and Divergence of a series

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a sequence and a series and how the limit of a sequence does not necessarily determine the convergence of a series. It is important to use tests, such as comparison, ratio, and root, to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.
mohabitar
The series from n=1 to infinity log(n/(n+1)). This was on my quiz, which I got wrong. Here's what I did:
lim n-->infinity of log(n/(n+1))
so then that becomes: log(lim n-->infinity n/(n+1))
which becomes the log1, which is 0, so it converges.

Whats wrong with my steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you showed was that the sequence converges to 0, not the series. The sequence has to converge to 0 for the series to converge, but it does not guarantee that it does. A good example of this is the harmonic series
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1){k} [/tex]
The limit as k goes to infinity of 1/k is zero, but the series still diverges.

If you have a series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex], and lim an is not 0, or the limit doesn't exist, then you know that your series diverges.

If lim an = 0, then you really can't say much at all about your series. That's what all the tests (comparison, ratio, root, integral, limit comparison, etc.) are about.

I thought what I did was a test?? Ahhh this stuff is so confusing! So many times in my book it said if the lim of an=0, then it converges. I don't get what's going on.

mohabitar said:
I thought what I did was a test?? Ahhh this stuff is so confusing! So many times in my book it said if the lim of an=0, then it converges. I don't get what's going on.
I suspect that you are confusing a sequence, {an}, with a series, [itex]\sum a_n[/itex]. If lim an = 0 (or any specific number), the sequence converges, but nothing can be said about the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex].

The harmonic series that rakalakalili gave and this series [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} [/tex]
are such that lim an = 0, but the harmonic series diverges and the other series converges.

What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a series?

Convergence and divergence are two concepts used to describe the behavior of a series as the number of terms increases. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms grows without bound as the number of terms increases.

How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests examine the behavior of the series in different ways and can help determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

What is the significance of a convergent series?

A convergent series has a finite sum, which means that as the number of terms increases, the sum will approach a specific value. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating probabilities or approximating values in mathematical models.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series satisfies the conditions for both convergence and divergence, it is considered to be divergent.

What is the role of the terms in a series in determining its convergence or divergence?

The terms in a series play a crucial role in determining its convergence or divergence. The behavior of the sum of the terms as the number of terms increases is what ultimately determines if a series is convergent or divergent.