1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence and Divergence

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    I need help identifying if it converges or diverges or conditionally converges.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex](-1)^{k}[/tex][tex]\frac{(k+4)}{(k^{2}+k)}[/tex]

First I want to test for absolute convergence, and comparing this limit to 1/k I get that it diverges. Since it diverges, I need to test it now using the Alternating Series test, in which the limit is 0 and it converges. So my question is, does it conditionally converge?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So your question is just whether the sequence (k+4)/(k2+ k) converges to 0 as k goes to infinity? Divide both numerator and denominator by k2. Now what happens as k goes to infinity?

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    yes from 0 to infinity.

it would be (1/k + 4/k)(1+1/k)...4/1 = 4.....so?

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    Ok, you've established that it does not absolutely converge so you must test for conditional convergence, but your test is not comprehensive. Designate a_sub_n as (k+4)/(k^2 + k) and taking HallsofIvy's suggestion, we have lim(n -> +inf) of a_sub_n = lim(n -> +inf) of (1/k + 4/k^2)/(1 + 1/k), which tends to 0 because all the terms with k in the denominator go to 0. Now you have to show that a_sub_(n+1) < a_sub_n, and if this is true, then you can say that the series conditionally converges.

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5
    This is not correct. Note, that the 4 in the numerator comes as 4/k ....in fact it should be 1/k^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?