Understanding Convergence Factors in Physics Textbooks

In summary, the convergence factors are supposed to be some infinitesimal added to guarantee the integral converges. I don't understand why they are necessary or why they are added on a whim. I also don't understand what the physical meaning of adding them is.
maverick_starstrider
"Convergence Factors"

In all my textbooks I always see these random convergence factors thrown in (+0's or +i*nu or some such) but I have never seen a book that would dirty itself by steeping so low as to explain what they are (I'm looking at you Wen, Bruus and Flensberg, Fetter and Walecka, etc.). I understand they are supposed to be some ad hoc infinitesimal added to guarantee some integral converges but can anyone point me to (or provide) an explanation of:

-when they are necessary
-why it is ok to add them on a whim
-what would happen is we didn't add them
-what is the physical meaning of adding them.

If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll give the example of the energy propogator

[itex] G_E(n_b,t_b,n_a,t_a) = -i \langle n_b \vert U(t,t_0) \vert n_a \rangle = -ie^{-i \epsilon_n (t_b - t_a) } \delta_{n_b,n_a} [/itex]

where when we move to frequency space we get

[itex] G_E(n_b,n_a,\omega) = \int_0^{\infty} dt G_E(n_b,t_a+t,n_a,t_a)e^{it\omega - 0^+ t} = \frac{1}{\omega - \epsilon_{n_a}+i 0^+} \delta_{n_b,n_a} [/itex]

I don't get the [itex]0^+[/itex].

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

maverick_starstrider said:
In all my textbooks I always see these random convergence factors thrown in (+0's or +i*nu or some such) but I have never seen a book that would dirty itself by steeping so low as to explain what they are (I'm looking at you Wen, Bruus and Flensberg, Fetter and Walecka, etc.). I understand they are supposed to be some ad hoc infinitesimal added to guarantee some integral converges but can anyone point me to (or provide) an explanation of:

-when they are necessary
-why it is ok to add them on a whim
-what would happen is we didn't add them
-what is the physical meaning of adding them.

If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll give the example of the energy propogator

[itex] G_E(n_b,t_b,n_a,t_a) = -i \langle n_b \vert U(t,t_0) \vert n_a \rangle = -ie^{-i \epsilon_n (t_b - t_a) } \delta_{n_b,n_a} [/itex]

where when we move to frequency space we get

[itex] G_E(n_b,n_a,\omega) = \int_0^{\infty} dt G_E(n_b,t_a+t,n_a,t_a)e^{it\omega - 0^+ t} = \frac{1}{\omega - \epsilon_{n_a}+i 0^+} \delta_{n_b,n_a} [/itex]

I don't get the [itex]0^+[/itex].

Thanks in advance

The Fourier transform of distributions is not completely straightforward since the integrals don't make sense without the factors.

The +i eps (or +i 0) tells the way the integration contour must be deformed into the complex plane in order to get a well-defined distribution. See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagator_(Quantum_Theory)#Relativistic_propagators

They are not added in an ad hoc way but in order to get a free field theory with a valid unitary representation of the Poincare group satisfying causal (anti)commutation rules
(or, in condensed matter theory, the correct nonrelativistic propagator).

I appreciate the response but I'm afraid I'm not getting much from that. Why aren't the Fourier transforms of distributions straightforward (and which factors). What is a "well-defined" distribution? What is our goal here with this integral, why do these integrals needs special contour deformations that others don't?

I appreciate the response but I'm afraid I'm not getting much from that. Why aren't the Fourier transforms of distributions straightforward (and which factors). What is a "well-defined" distribution? What is our goal here with this integral, why do these integrals needs special contour deformations that others don't?

What is your math background? It doesn't make sense to answer your questions before you get the relevant background knowledge.

Do you know what a distribution is?

Can you make sense of the integral without the +i eps? At some point the integrand becomes infinity - do you know how to define integrals in this case?

A. Neumaier said:
What is your math background? It doesn't make sense to answer your questions before you get the relevant background knowledge.

Do you know what a distribution is?

Can you make sense of the integral without the +i eps? At some point the integrand becomes infinity - do you know how to define integrals in this case?

I understand the math in the sense that you're essentially saying the integral is valued at its Cauchy Principal Value (am I wrong?). It's the physics and motivation of this. WHY is it physically correct to integrate around our pesky poles (or push them off the real line). Why should this be considered the "true" value of the integral. It's really not the same integral at all is it? Whenever physics throws a function (or distribution) which must be integrated across one of its poles why is it ok to just push the pole out of the way? This is what I don't understand.

I understand the math in the sense that you're essentially saying the integral is valued at its Cauchy Principal Value (am I wrong?). It's the physics and motivation of this. WHY is it physically correct to integrate around our pesky poles (or push them off the real line). Why should this be considered the "true" value of the integral. It's really not the same integral at all is it? Whenever physics throws a function (or distribution) which must be integrated across one of its poles why is it ok to just push the pole out of the way? This is what I don't understand.

The usual intuitive justification is that the small systems considered in scattering experiments are not truly isolated but coupled to the environment, so that a tiny bit of energy dissipates. This makes the Hamiltonian slightly nonhermitian (adds an optical potential). But of course it os too small to be worth modeling it directly. so one treats the system as conservative and only adds the infinitesimal i eps.

A more rigorous justification is obtained if you start with axiomatic properties that must be reasonably assumed to hold for any decent field theory, based on relativity, causality, and stability. This leads to the Wightman axioms. Then one can show (see Weinberg) that the free fields satisfy the axioms only if the poles are treated in the textbook fashion.

On a more elementary level, one can see how the i eps arises rigorously for nonrelativistic problems in the solution of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation. For a fairly rigorous discussion, see Vol. 3 of Thirring's Course on Mathematical Physics.

1. What are convergence factors in physics textbooks?

Convergence factors are mathematical tools used in physics textbooks to help solve problems involving infinite series or improper integrals. They are typically represented by the symbol "C" and are used to manipulate the series or integral so that it converges.

2. Why are convergence factors important in physics?

Convergence factors are important because they allow us to solve problems that would otherwise be impossible to solve. In physics, many physical phenomena can be described using infinite series or integrals, and convergence factors provide a way to make these calculations more manageable.

3. How do convergence factors work?

Convergence factors work by multiplying the original series or integral by a factor that causes it to converge. This is achieved by manipulating the original series or integral using properties of convergence factors, such as the ratio test or the comparison test.

4. What are some common mistakes when using convergence factors?

One common mistake when using convergence factors is forgetting to include the factor in the final answer. Another mistake is using the wrong convergence factor, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully follow the steps and properties of convergence factors to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of convergence factors in physics textbooks?

To improve your understanding of convergence factors, it is important to practice solving problems that involve their use. You can also review the properties and applications of convergence factors in your textbook or seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice exercises. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial in improving your understanding of convergence factors.