Convergence of $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z}{z+1}\right)^n (z\in C)

In summary: In other words, if z is in the region between -1 and 0, then your inequality is true.So if z is between -1 and 0, then your inequality is true.Yes. If z is between -1 and 0, then your inequality is true.
fauboca
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z}{z+1}\right)^n[/tex]

z in C.

This only converges for [itex]z>\frac{-1}{2}[/itex], correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

No. For one thing, z is complex, so it doesn't make sense to say z > -1/2. In any case, show us how you reached this conclusion.

vela said:
No. For one thing, z is complex, so it doesn't make sense to say z > -1/2. In any case, show us how you reached this conclusion.

Ratio Test

You need to explain what you did in more detail.

vela said:
You need to explain what you did in more detail.

By the ratio test,

[tex]\left|\frac{z}{z+1}\right|<1[/tex]

Is this correct now?

If so, how do I find the appropriate z for which it converges?

Your inequality is true if and only if

[tex]\left|\frac{z}{z+1}\right|^2 < 1[/tex]

You can rearrange this and simplify to find a simple inequality for z.

Another way: your inequality is true if and only if

|z| < |z + 1|

which can be written more suggestively as

|z - 0| < |z + 1|

What does this mean geometrically?

jbunniii said:
Your inequality is true if and only if

[tex]\left|\frac{z}{z+1}\right|^2 < 1[/tex]

You can rearrange this and simplify to find a simple inequality for z.

Another way: your inequality is true if and only if

|z| < |z + 1|

Why did you square it?

fauboca said:
Why did you square it?

Because you can then simplify [itex]|z + 1|^2[/itex]. If you're not sure how, try writing it as z + 1 times its complex conjugate.

jbunniii said:
Because you can then simplify [itex]|z + 1|^2[/itex]. If you're not sure how, try writing it as z + 1 times its complex conjugate.

I don't understand what you mean.

z + 1 times it conjugate is

[tex]z^2 - 1[/tex]

fauboca said:
I don't understand what you mean.

z + 1 times it conjugate is

[tex]z^2 - 1[/tex]

No, that's z + 1 times z - 1. The conjugate of z + 1 is not z - 1.

jbunniii said:
No, that's z + 1 times z - 1. The conjugate of z + 1 is not z - 1.

So am I supposed to get [itex]\bar{z}> -1[/itex]??

fauboca said:
So am I supposed to get [itex]\bar{z}> -1[/itex]??

No. That doesn't even make any sense, as [itex]\bar{z}[/itex] is a complex number.

[tex]|z+1|^2 = (z+1)(\overline{z + 1}) = (z + 1)(\bar{z} + 1) = z\bar{z} + z + \bar{z} + 1 = |z|^2 + z + \bar{z} + 1[/tex]

So what does your inequality become?

Hint: you can simplify [itex]z + \bar{z}[/itex].

jbunniii said:
No. That doesn't even make any sense, as [itex]\bar{z}[/itex] is a complex number.

[tex]|z+1|^2 = (z+1)(\overline{z + 1}) = (z + 1)(\bar{z} + 1) = z\bar{z} + z + \bar{z} + 1 = |z|^2 + z + \bar{z} + 1[/tex]

So what does your inequality become?

Hint: you can simplify [itex]z + \bar{z}[/itex].

I defined [itex]z = x + yi[/itex] and then did what you said. But we had [itex]|z| < |z+1|[/itex] That is how I obtained my solution.

fauboca said:
I defined [itex]z = x + yi[/itex] and then did what you said. But we had [itex]|z| < |z+1|[/itex] That is how I obtained my solution.

But you didn't obtain a correct solution, or at least you haven't posted it here.

OK, forget the squaring for now and let's focus on this inequality:

|z| < |z + 1|

I will write it more suggestively as follows:

|z - 0| < |z - (-1)|

What values of z satisfy this inequality? It's a certain region of the complex plane. What region?

This kind of thing is often easier to answer if you first determine what region is specified by the EQUALITY:

|z - 0| = |z - (-1)|

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The convergence of a series is determined by whether the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. In other words, if the value of the series approaches a specific number as more and more terms are added, then the series is said to be convergent.

2. How is the convergence of a series related to the convergence of its terms?

The convergence of a series is directly related to the convergence of its individual terms. If the terms of a series do not approach zero, then the series cannot converge. However, the converse is not always true, as a series with terms that approach zero can still diverge.

3. How can I determine the convergence of the series $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z}{z+1}\right)^n (z\in C)$?

To determine the convergence of this series, we can use the ratio test. This test involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio between the (n+1)th term and the nth term. If this limit is less than 1, then the series is convergent. If it is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

4. Can the series $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z}{z+1}\right)^n (z\in C)$ converge for all values of z?

No, the series will only converge for certain values of z. In this case, the series will converge for all values of z that satisfy $\left|\frac{z}{z+1}\right|<1$. This means that the series will converge for all complex numbers z with a magnitude less than 1.

5. Are there any other tests that can be used to determine the convergence of a series?

Yes, there are several other tests that can be used, such as the integral test, comparison test, and root test. These tests can be particularly useful for determining the convergence of more complex series that cannot be easily evaluated using the ratio test.