1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence in C[a,b]

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    Folks,

For C[0,2*pi] and given a function f(x)=sin(x) the supremum |f(x)|=max|f(x)| for x in [a,b]

I calculate the sup|f(x)| to be = 0 but my notes say 1. The latter answer would be the case if f(x) was cos(x)....right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

With both sin(x) and cos(x), the supremum is 1. Can you explain how you found 0 as answer??

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    I thought you take the highest evaluation resulting from either sin(0) and sin(2*pi)? Both are 0...?

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, you take |f(x)| for all values in [itex][0,2\pi][/itex]. And you take the maximum for all those values x. So the maximum can also occur at 1/2 or 1 or whatever.

6. Dec 21, 2011 #5
    ahh right...you consider all values from 0 to 2pi on the real line and it is sin(pi/2) in this case?

Thanks

7. Dec 21, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, both at [itex]\pi/2[/itex] as at [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] is the maximum reached.

8. Dec 21, 2011 #7
    Thanks,

Warning noted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook