1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence math problem

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    How does one show that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^n}{n}[/itex] converges [itex]\forall z s.t. |z| \leq 1, z \neq 1[/itex]

i can show that it doesn't converge for z=1 (easy enough) but how do i do the rest of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Convergence

Try ratio test and Abel's test.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

ratio test gives [itex]\frac{z}{1+\frac{1}{n}} \rightarrow z[/itex] as n goes to infinity

so this will be convergent for all z with |z|<1

i dont really understand abels test - how does that help here?

also it says you can't apply abels test on the boundary so how do i show it converges there also?

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel's_test

Abel's works on the boundary |z|=1 except at z=1. Are you allowed to use Abel's test? If not, I guess you'd have to wade through its proof? The key step is summation by parts, along with a sine trick. I'm assuming z is complex. Real case is easy.

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

ok so abels test can be used here o say that it converges on the boundary ASSUMING that we know it converges for all |z|<1 - and we know this from the ratio test.

but abels test doesn't work on z=1 but we can tell it doesnt converge there.
    and then we are done.

is that all acceptable?

7. Apr 9, 2009 #6

There should be a theorem or proposition in your book that says:
    If [itex]\sum a_n (z-a)^n[/itex] is a given power series with radius of convergence [itex]R[/itex], then
    [tex] R = \lim_{n\to \infty} \left| \frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} \right| [/tex]
    if this limit exists.

8. Apr 9, 2009 #7

wouldn't that limit be 0 as [itex]z^n < z^{n+1} \Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} |\frac{z^n}{z^{n+1}}|=0[/itex] as the n bits just go to 1 in the limit

9. Apr 9, 2009 #8

Look what I posted. I didn't say [itex]z^n[/itex]. The formula I gave has [itex]a_n[/itex]'s in it.

10. Apr 9, 2009 #9

Thm 1: If [tex]\left|\frac{b_{n+1}}{b_n}\right|\to L<1[/tex] then [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] converges absolutely.

Thm 2: If [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\to L[/tex] then [tex]R=1/L[/tex] is the radius of convergence of [tex]\sum a_n z^n[/tex].

You can use either thm. Which one do you want to use? If you want to use Thm 1, you have to use [tex]b_n=a_n z^n[/tex]. If Thm 2, just use [tex]a_n[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook