Convergence of a sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a given sequence can be classified as convergent or divergent and explores different tests to determine its convergence. The use of the Cauchy condensation test is suggested and the conversation ends with a thank you.
Myriadi
I am having difficulty determining whether or not the following sequence can be classified as convergent or divergent:

[tex]^{\infty}_{k=1}{\sum}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{k^{ln(k)}}[/tex]

This can be simplified to:

[tex]^{\infty}_{k=1}{\sum}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{e^{{ln(k)}^{2}}}[/tex]

Both the ratio test and root test are inconclusive (giving values of 1), while attempting the integral test doesn't work as I am unable to integrate this as a function.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If by k, you mean n, then consider the following.
[tex]
y = e^{(ln n)^2} \rightarrow
y' = y \frac{2 \ln n}{n} > 0.
[/tex]

Therefore, the terms are strictly nonincreasing.

Consider the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_condensation_test

I'm sure you can do the rest.

Yes, by n I meant k.

I have actually never encountered the Cauchy condensation test until now.

I was able to finish it. Thank you very much.

A comparison to a p-series would have also worked.

What is the definition of convergence of a sequence?

The convergence of a sequence refers to the property of a sequence of numbers where, as the number of terms in the sequence increases, the terms get closer and closer to a specific value called the limit. In other words, the sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases.

How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence is determined by calculating the limit of the sequence. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then the sequence is said to be convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the sequence is said to be divergent.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent sequence does not approach a specific value and may either approach infinity or oscillate between different values.

How is the convergence of a sequence denoted?

The convergence of a sequence is denoted using the notation limn→∞ an = L, where L is the limit of the sequence as n (the number of terms) approaches infinity.

What are some common methods for determining the convergence of a sequence?

Some common methods for determining the convergence of a sequence include using the definition of convergence, the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods involve evaluating the limit of the sequence or comparing it to other known convergent or divergent sequences.