Is the Sequence x_{n+1}=\sqrt{2x_n} Converging?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence and limit of the sequence \sqrt{2},\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}},\sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}}. The attempt at a solution includes different approaches, such as writing the sequence as exponents with a common base and calling the limit L to manipulate it. The final solution is to write the sequence recursively as x_{n+1}=\sqrt{2x_n} and find the limit to be 2.
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that [itex] \sqrt{2},\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}},\sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}} [/itex]
converges and find the limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can write it also like this correct
[itex] 2^{\frac{1}{2}},2^{\frac{1}{2}}2^{\frac{1}{4}},2^{\frac{1}{2}}2^{\frac{1}{4}}2^{\frac{1}{8}} [/itex]
so each time i multiply it by the new number it is getting closer to 1.
Every new number on the end of the sequence is getting closer to 1 that I am multiplying it by. so this sequence is bounded and decreasing therefore it must have a limit.
I am not sure what it converges to. but when I know I need to show that it that the sequence
A-b<ε , where A is the sequence and b is the limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not decreasing. Think about it again.

I think it does converge. What happens when you multiply exponentials with a common base?

Edit: this sequence doesn't converge to 1, but...?

Last edited:
okay its increasing but it will eventually converge because we keep multiplying it by something smaller. okay I see it now we have 2 raised to the sum of
[itex] \sum \frac{1}{2^n} [/itex]
so it should converge to 2 .
all the exponents should add up to 1.
by a geometric series.

You got it! One nitpick though:

cragar said:
okay its increasing but it will eventually converge because we keep multiplying it by something smaller.

Consider the sequence $$2^{-1}+2, (2^{-2}+2)(2^{-1}+2), (2^{-3}+2)(2^{-2}+2)(2^{-1}+2), \ldots$$

cragar said:
okay its increasing but it will eventually converge because we keep multiplying it by something smaller. okay I see it now we have 2 raised to the sum of
[itex] \sum \frac{1}{2^n} [/itex]
so it should converge to 2 .
all the exponents should add up to 1.
by a geometric series.

That's one way to do it. Another way is the call the limit [itex]L[/itex] and figure out what [itex]\sqrt{ 2 L }[/itex] must be if it converges.

So now I need to show that the sequence [itex] A-2< \epsilon [/itex]
where A is the sequence. Do I need to write the sequence as 2 raised to a sum with a variable n and then use that to show that it converges. Your saying call the limit L and then put it in and then manipulate it to show that it converges, I am mot exactly sure how that would work.
@alanlu: Are you using that other sequence as an example and I should figure out what it converges to.
thanks for all the help by the way.

Last edited:
The other sequence is an example of a series where the terms get multiplied by decreasing positive numbers, but the series diverges.

Further hint for the other route: can you write ##\sqrt{2L}## in terms of L?

Lastly, the definition of the limit of a sequence is a bit unwieldy for this situation: at best, you should use it to check your work. Also, it is stated, sn -> L iff for all e > 0, there is an N such that for all n >= N, ¦L - sn¦ < e.

Okay now I see what you mean by write in terms of L, write it recursively.
[itex] x_{n+1}=\sqrt{2x_n} [/itex]

Last edited:

What is the definition of convergence of a sequence?

Convergence of a sequence refers to the behavior of a sequence as its terms approach a certain value, called the limit. A sequence is said to converge if the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the limit as the sequence progresses.

How is the limit of a sequence determined?

The limit of a sequence can be determined by observing the behavior of the terms as the index of the sequence increases. If the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a certain value, then that value is the limit of the sequence.

Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If the terms of a sequence get closer and closer to two different values, then the sequence is said to diverge and does not have a limit.

Does a sequence always converge?

No, a sequence may not always converge. If the terms of a sequence do not approach a single value, then the sequence is said to diverge and does not converge.

How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence can be determined by analyzing the behavior of its terms, such as using the limit definition, ratio test, or comparison test. If the sequence satisfies certain criteria, then it is said to converge.