Uniform Convergence of Series on [0,1]

In summary, the conversation discusses the series 1-x/(2+x)^k and whether it converges uniformly on the interval [0,1]. The participants have shown that the series has pointwise convergence and are discussing how to prove uniform convergence on the interval. They also mention the importance of properly using parentheses in equations.
Pearce_09
I wish I had more done.. but I'm have trouble understanding this...

Show that the series The sum is k=0 to infinity [tex] \sum^\infty_0 1-x/(2+x)^k [/tex] converges uniformly on [0,1].

What I have done so far is take the
the lim is k-->infinity [tex]\lim_\infty 1-x/(2+x)^k = 0 [/tex]
therefore the limit exists...
does this even matter.. i mean, do I even need to state this.. because I still need to say if it converges on [0,1] which I am have trouble starting on.. please help.
thank you,
sorry i havnt quite mastered latex
adam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sloppiness with your parentheses! :grumpy:
(I take it you meant [itex](1-x)/(2+x)^{k}=\frac{1-x}{(2+x)^{k}}[/itex])

Hmm.. what you have shown so for is that for any fixed x, the series does not necessarily diverge.

As for proving uniform convergence, split it in two:

1. Show that you have pointwise convergence.
2. Having 1, since you have pointwise convergence on a compact set, then you also have uniform convergence on that set.

Last edited:
this is just a test
suppose [tex] |f_k(x)| \leq M_k [/tex]
then, [tex] \sum^\infty_1 |f_k(x)| \leq \sum^\infty_1 M_k [/tex]

What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms increases. A series is said to converge if the terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms goes to infinity.

How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. These include the ratio test, the comparison test, the integral test, and the root test. Each test has its own specific conditions and criteria for determining convergence or divergence.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series when only the magnitudes of the terms are considered. In contrast, conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series when both the magnitudes and signs of the terms are taken into account.

Can a series converge to more than one limit?

No, a series can only converge to one limit. If a series converges, its terms must approach a single, finite limit as the number of terms increases. If the terms approach more than one limit, the series is said to diverge.

What is the importance of understanding convergence of a series?

Understanding convergence of a series is crucial in many areas of science and mathematics, particularly in calculus and analysis. It allows for the evaluation of infinite sums, which have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and finance. It also plays a key role in the study of functions and their properties.