Is the Convergence of This Series Equal to 1/4?

In summary, the problem is seemingly simple - find the sum of a series - but I can't seem to break it down into partial fractions. Any tips?
uman
Hi all. I am stuck on this problem:

Prove that [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{n}{(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)}=1/4[/tex].

I am totally stuck on this! I tried breaking it up into partial fractions, which worked on some other problems in this section because it showed how to express them as telescoping series, but in this case that technique provided no new insight. I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get when you use partial fraction decomposition?

[tex]\frac{n}{(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)}=-\frac{1}{2(x+1)} + \frac{2}{x+2} - \frac{3}{2(x+3)}[/tex]

uman, do you know calculus. to be precise Newton's summation formula? here it is for you.

summation of n/(C + n) where n varies from 0 to Inf is same as

Definite integral of 1 / ( 1 + C.x) from 0 to 1 = 1/C * ln (1+x)

use this formula after you decompose the function into smaller units as you have done.

Meaw do you have any links to this formula? I can't find anything on google about it, but I've been at a loss to figure this one out too XD

Eh meaw could you give a few more details please?

There is no such formula. You can approximate a sum by such an integral or use it to determine whether the sum converges or not, but the integral is, in general, NOT equal to the integral.

Okay... anyone have any more ideas for solving it?

uman said:
[tex]\frac{n}{(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)}=-\frac{1}{2(x+1)} + \frac{2}{x+2} - \frac{3}{2(x+3)}[/tex]
Those terms look awfully similar...

HallsofIvy said:
There is no such formula. You can approximate a sum by such an integral or use it to determine whether the sum converges or not, but the integral is, in general, NOT equal to the integral.
That's a very important point that most people miss. The best example I can think of is,
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]
Which turns out to be [itex]\pi^2/6[/itex]. But the corresponding integral is 1. Proving a is very very difficult, in general...

What is convergence of a series?

Convergence of a series refers to the behavior of an infinite sequence of numbers when summed together. It determines whether the sum of the series approaches a finite value or diverges to infinity.

How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series converges or diverges, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the terms are always positive or always negative, and the series converges to a finite value. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a series where the terms alternate between positive and negative, and the series converges to a finite value only when the terms are added in a specific order.

Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series converges to more than one value, it is considered to be divergent.

Why is it important to understand the convergence of a series?

Understanding the convergence of a series is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to determine the behavior of infinite sums and evaluate the accuracy of mathematical models. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.