1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a Series

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ʃ[itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin(1/n}{\sqrt{n}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    lim[itex]_{n→∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sin(1/n}{\sqrt{n}}[/itex]= lim[itex]_{n→∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{-2cos(1/n)}{n^{3/2}}[/itex] with l'hospital rule = 0

since lim[itex]_{n→∞}[/itex]=0 therefore the series is convergent

Do you think I did this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't imagine why you would use L'Hopital for that: sin(2/n) lies between -1 and 1 for all n while the numerator gets larger and larger. Of course, the limit is 0.

But that doesn't help you. [itex]a_n[/itex] going to 0 is a necessary condition for convergence of the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex], it is not a sufficient condition.

If [itex]a_n[/itex] does NOT go to 0, then [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] does not converge but there exist series in which [itex]a_n[/itex] converges to 0 but the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] does not converge.

For example, [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex] clearly has 1/n going to 0 but the series does not converge.

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    Consider doing a limit comparison test. What well known limit involving sine might help here?

5. Nov 24, 2011 #4
    Thank you for quick reply. Okay now I understand that the proof is not sufficient. Can I instead use the fact that you said -1 < sin(1/n) < 1 and the graph shows this:

Graph attached.

can I say since [itex]\frac{sin(1/n}{\sqrt{n}}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}[/itex] then use the p-series to show convergence or divergence.
    or I can think of continuing what I was doing and prove that n^(3/2) converges then by definiton -2con(1/n) should also converge.

Attached Files:

6. Nov 24, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing way too much work. When n is large, 1/n is small and sin(1/n) is 1/n + O(1/n^2), so the nth term is 1/n^(3/2) + O(1/n^(5/2)). Convergence is then obvious.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook