1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a series

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the limit comparison test to determine whether the following series converges or diverges.

[itex]\sum{\frac{2^n}{3^n - 1}}[/itex]

Where the sum is from n = 1 to n = ∞.

2. Relevant equations

The limit comparison test:

Suppose an>0 and bn>0 for all n. If the limit of an/bn=c, where c>0, then the two series [itex]\sum{a_{n}}[/itex] and [itex]\sum{b_{n}}[/itex] either both converge or both diverge.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I get that the point is to find another series that you know diverges or converges that will also make the above limit easy to evaluate. All I can think to do is to compare it to something like [itex]\sum{1/3^n}[/itex] or [itex]\sum{2^n}[/itex], the first of which results in the limit not existing and the second of which results in the limit being zero. I think it's obvious that the series should converge, as the denominator is always equal to or greater than the numerator. But I'm out of ideas on what other sums I could use in the limit comparison test.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2
    Compare it to
    [tex]\sum \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}\cdot\frac{3^n-1}{2^n}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{3^n}{3^n} - \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
    [tex]1- \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
    With limit n->infinity, this = 1

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Dec 15, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

Not quite, although the limit of the ratio is equal to 1. There are a few mistakes, in my opinion:

First, the ratio is wrong. It should be ##u_n/v_n## or in the OP's equation ##a_n/b_n##. You've done the opposite. (A condition is missing in this case: c<∞)

Second, the limit is obtained using L'Hopital's rule.

Third, [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/itex] is in fact a geometric series.

It should be easy now to form the final conclusion.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Dec 15, 2012 #4
    Doh! That should've been my next try. I got too caught up trying to do the same thing I was doing for the preceding questions. Thanks for the help guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook