Convergence of Series: Can You Solve This Problem?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the values of x for which the series \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}ne^{(-nx)} converges. The participants discuss using the integral test or the ratio test to determine convergence and suggest finding the value of \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n to convert back to the original problem. One participant provides a solution using the ratio test and concludes that the series converges for all x>0. Another participant suggests using the derivative of the geometric series to find the desired sum.
amcavoy
For what values of [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] does the series converge?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}ne^{(-nx)}[/tex]

I found this problem on the internet and couldn't solve it. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
alexmcavoy@gmail.com said:
For what values of [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] does the series converge?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}ne^{(-nx)}[/tex]

I found this problem on the internet and couldn't solve it. Thanks for your help.

How about the integral test for convergence? For what values of x would the required integral converge?

That is what I am having trouble with. I actually got this problem off of the MIT OpenCourseWare website under "Analysis I" and am looking to see how someone would solve this.

When I evaluate [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}ne^{(-n)}[/tex] on my calculator, I get [tex]\frac{1}{4(\sinh{(\frac{1}{2})})^{2}}[/tex]. How was that calculated?

Last edited:
You could use the ratio test, though the integral test will also work. Have you tried to apply either?

Well without getting too much into detail of proving theorems to help with proving convergence. Think about what the sum would look like when x>0, when x=0 and when x<0.

When I evaluate [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}ne^{(-n)}[/tex] on my calculator, I get [tex]\frac{1}{4(\sinh{(\frac{1}{2})})^{2}}[/tex]. How was that calculated?

It's related to a geometric series. Can you find

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n[/tex]

(where it converges of course-actually if you can find where this guy converges then you should be able to convert back to your original problem without difficulty)

Last edited:
I guess I can't. How would you do this? I know the [tex]\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex] answer for the value of an infinite series, but don't know how to apply it to this particular problem.

I see that if I did find that value, let's say [tex]x=a[/tex], then I could replace [tex]x[/tex] with [tex]e^{(-x)}[/tex] and solve getting [tex]x=-\ln{(a)}[/tex].

Would this be correct?

Last edited:
Ok I tried this:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{|(n+1)x^{(n+1)}|}{|nx^{(n)}|}=x[/tex] so [tex]-1<x<1[/tex]. So now I replace [tex]x[/tex] with [tex]e^{(-x)}[/tex]. This is where I am stuck because I can't solve it. What did I do incorrectly?

Thanks.

hello all

well to find out for what values this series converges for is not particularly hard its just a straight application of the ratio test the same we would apply it to the power series to find the radius of convergence

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(n+1)e^{(nx)}}{ ne^{(n+1)x}}=\frac{1}{e^x}<1[/tex]
[tex]1<e^{x}[/tex]
[tex]\log 1<\log e^{x}[/tex]
and so therefore the series converges for all [tex]x>0[/tex]

I guess I can't. How would you do this?

Alex, you can do this.

Let:

[tex]w=\frac{1}{e^a}[/tex]

and:

[tex]z=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}w^n[/tex]

Now, you know what that sum is right? It's an expression in terms of w.

Now take the derivative of both expressions with respect to w, adjust the sum to look like what you want and you're done.

Doing that I come up with [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nw^n=\frac{w}{(1-w)^2}\quad 0\leq w<1[/tex]. Is this correct?

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the property of a series where the terms of the series approach a finite limit or value as the number of terms increases.

2. How can you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and root test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms of the series to determine if they approach a finite limit or not.

3. What is the significance of a convergent series?

A convergent series is significant because it allows us to calculate the sum of an infinite number of terms. This is useful in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series is convergent, it means that the terms approach a finite limit, while a divergent series means that the terms do not approach a finite limit.

5. How does the rate of convergence affect the behavior of a series?

The rate of convergence refers to how quickly the terms of a series approach the finite limit. A series with a faster rate of convergence will reach the finite limit in fewer terms compared to a series with a slower rate of convergence. This can greatly affect the behavior and convergence of a series.