• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Convergence of a series

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date

chwala

Gold Member
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Determine whether the series ## \frac {(n^3+3n)^{1/2}} {5n^3+3n^2+2 sin (n)}## converges or not

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
looking at ## 1/sin (n) ## by comparison,
##1/n^2=1+1/4+1/9+1/16+...## converges for ##n≥1##
for ##n≥1 ##
implying that ##{sin (n)}≤n ##
##1/2sin (n) ≤1/{n} ## converges, up to this point i have been trying to look at the trig. term in the series....
again by comparison,...

tnich

Homework Helper
Determine whether the series ## \frac {(n^3+3n)^{1/2}} {5n^3+3n^2+2 sin (n)}## converges or not

2. Relevant equations

for ##n≥1 ##
##1/2sin (n) ≤1/{n} ## converges, up to this point i have been trying to look at the trig. term in the series....
again by comparison,...
I think the first thing you need to do is eliminate the trig term by finding a bounding series. What series ##f(n)## can you come up that is just a little bit larger than ##\frac {(n^3+3n)^{1/2}} {5n^3+3n^2+2 sin (n)}## and has no trig term?

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

2. Relevant equations

for ##n≥1 ##
again by comparison,...
Look at
$$\text{numerator} = (n^3 +3n)^{1/2} = n^{3/2} \left( 1 + \frac 3 n \right)^{1/2} $$
and
$$\text{denominator} = 5n^3 + 3 n^2 + 2 \sin(n) = 5 n^3 \left( 1 + \frac{3}{5n} + \frac{2 \sin(n)}{5n^3} \right).$$
The numerator is ##< 2 \, n^{3/2}##, and for any small ##\epsilon > 0## we can find ##N> 0## so that ##n > N## implies the denominator is ##> 5n^3 (1 - \epsilon).##

Last edited:

chwala

Gold Member
Look at
$$\text{numerator} = (n^3 +3n)^{1/2} = n^{3/2} \left( 1 + \frac 3 n \right)^{1/2} $$
and
$$\text{denominator} = 5n^3 + 3 n^2 + 2 \sin(n) = 5 n^3 \left( 1 + \frac{3}{5n} + \frac{2 \sin(n)}{5n^3} \right).$$
The numerator is ##< 2 \, n^{3/2}##, and for any small ##\epsilon > 0## we can find ##N> 0## so that ##n > N## implies the denominator is ##> 5n^3 (1 - \epsilon).##
let me post my attempt..

chwala

Gold Member
there look at my working attached........

Attachments

chwala

Gold Member
since the series ## 1/n^3## converges for the p-series p greater than 1, it suffices to say that our series converges though it fails for the limit comparison test....my thoughts

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
there look at my working attached........
This attachment shows up on my laptop computer, but opens empty and blank on my i-phone. You should avoid using tools that require the reader to use particular media to read your posts. Avoid WORD; use LaTeX instead. It is faster, easier and looks better. Now is the time for you to start learning it; you can install a complete system on your computer for $0 (for typing up your assignments), and it is built-in in this Forum as well.

chwala

Gold Member
This attachment shows up on my laptop computer, but opens empty and blank on my i-phone. You should avoid using tools that require the reader to use particular media to read your posts. Avoid WORD; use LaTeX instead. It is faster, easier and looks better. Now is the time for you to start learning it; you can install a complete system on your computer for $0 (for typing up your assignments), and it is built-in in this Forum as well.
ok sir, allow me to repost in latex....doing so in a few hours let me finish with a class...

chwala

Gold Member
our problem ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty## ##\frac {(n^2+3n)^{1/2}} {5n^3+3n^2+ 2 sin n}\ ##
*give me a few more hours finishing with a class*
##sum_{n=1}^\infty## ##{\frac {3}{n^2}+1}##
GIVE ME TIMEAM IN CLASS

Last edited:

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I also cant read your work in word document (yeap living in 2018 and haven't installed Microsoft Word :D)…

But , following the hints from @Ray Vickson, the final sequence ##b_n## which we ll use for the direct comparison test is ##b_n=\frac{2n^{3/2}}{5\epsilon n^3}=\frac{2}{5\epsilon}\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}## so your final conclusion should be "because the series of ##b_n## converges (p-series with p=3/2>1) and ##|a_n|<|b_n|## for n>N for some positive ##\epsilon## and ##N##, from direct comparison test it follows that the series of ##a_n## converges."

chwala

Gold Member
I also cant read your work in word document (yeap living in 2018 and haven't installed Microsoft Word :D)…

But , following the hints from @Ray Vickson, the final sequence ##b_n## which we ll use for the direct comparison test is ##b_n=\frac{2n^{3/2}}{5\epsilon n^3}=\frac{2}{5\epsilon}\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}## so your final conclusion should be "because the series of ##b_n## converges (p-series with p=3/2>1) and ##|a_n|<|b_n|## for n>N for some positive ##\epsilon## and ##N##, from direct comparison test it follows that the series of ##a_n## converges."
kindly let's be patient as i am reposting the solution using latex, i am learning a few latex terms.....give me time...

@chwala, the work you showed in the Word document is wrong right from the start.
You have
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + 3n}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2\sin n} = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac {\frac{\sqrt{n(n^2 + 3)}}{n^3}}{5 + \frac 3 n + \frac{2\sin n}{n^3}}$$

In post #1 you have ##(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}## in the numerator, but above you have ##\sqrt{n^2 + 3n}## on the left side. That's a relatively minor typo, but confusing for someone who might not have read things carefully throughout the thread.

BTW, since you're struggling with LaTeX, here's what I typed for the stuff above, in unrendered form:
\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + 3n}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2\sin n} = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac {\frac{\sqrt{n(n^2 + 3)}}{n^3}}{5 + \frac 3 n + \frac{2\sin n}{n^3}}

One thing to keep in mind for exponents, subscripts, fraction parts, limits of integration, and possibly a few more things: if the exponent, fraction part, etc. is just a single character, you don't need to include braces around it.
For example, this is fine: x^2
But here you need braces: x^{-2}

And this is fine \frac 1 2
But here you need braces: \frac {x - 2} 3 and \frac {x - 2}{3x}

Last edited:

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
kindly let's be patient as i am reposting the solution using latex, i am learning a few latex terms.....give me time...
Nobody is rushing you. If you need a few days, take a few days.

chwala

Gold Member

chwala

Gold Member
@chwala, the work you showed in the Word document is wrong right from the start.
You have
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + 3n}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2\sin n} = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac {\frac{\sqrt{n(n^2 + 3)}}{n^3}}{5 + \frac 3 n + \frac{2\sin n}{n^3}}$$

In post #1 you have ##(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}## in the numerator, but above you have ##\sqrt{n^2 + 3n}## on the left side. That's a relatively minor typo, but confusing for someone who might not have read things carefully throughout the thread.

BTW, since you're struggling with LaTeX, here's what I typed for the stuff above, in unrendered form:
\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + 3n}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2\sin n} = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac {\frac{\sqrt{n(n^2 + 3)}}{n^3}}{5 + \frac 3 n + \frac{2\sin n}{n^3}}

One thing to keep in mind for exponents, subscripts, fraction parts, limits of integration, and possibly a few more things: if the exponent, fraction part, etc. is just a single character, you don't need to include braces around it.
For example, this is fine: x^2
But here you need braces: x^{-2}

And this is fine \frac 1 2
But here you need braces: \frac {x - 2} 3 and \frac {x - 2}{3x}
noted, let me retype my whole solution using latex...

While you're figuring out LaTeX, something you should consider is that
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2} \le \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2\sin(n)} \le \sum_{n = 1}^\infty\frac{(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 - 2}$$
If you can show that the outer summations are convergent, you'll be able to say something about the series you're working with.

chwala

Gold Member
am back guys...was on vacation, let me embark on this again...

chwala

Gold Member
While you're figuring out LaTeX, something you should consider is that
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2} \le \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 + 2\sin(n)} \le \sum_{n = 1}^\infty\frac{(n^3 + 3n)^{1/2}}{5n^3 + 3n^2 - 2}$$
If you can show that the outer summations are convergent, you'll be able to say something about the series you're working with.
bet its easy to show by comparison method.

chwala

Gold Member
Allow me to look at this post again, i hope its not closed. I have been busy lately...

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Allow me to look at this post again, i hope its not closed. I have been busy lately...
It looks to me like it's open.

Yes, it's open, although 5+ months seems a long time to figure out this problem.

chwala

Gold Member
Let me look at this again, i need to refresh on convergence, my apologies

chwala

Gold Member
Yes, it's open, although 5+ months seems a long time to figure out this problem.
can you give me more insight Mark? i am stuck in this rumble...

From post #9, of July 18:
chwala said:
our problem ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty## ##\frac {(n^2+3n)^{1/2}} {5n^3+3n^2+ 2 sin n}\ ##
The dominant term in the numerator is n, and the dominant term in the denominator is ##5n^3##. Do you know the Limit Comparison Test?

chwala

Gold Member
ok let me look at this using comparison test :smile: