1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a very simple series

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    Hi, there's a really simple looking series that I don't know how to deal with.
    [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{{n^2 }}{{1 - n^3 }}}
    [/tex]
    How would I determine whether or not this series converges by using some standard convergence tests? If a_n = (n^2)/(1-n^3) then the numerator is always positive while the denominator is always negative so that a_n is always negative. So I can't think of a way to use the comparison test, limit comparison test etc. Since a_n looks like 1/n I have a feeling that the series diverges. But I can't think of any tests to use to verify whether or not my hypothesis is correct. At first I thought about using the absolute convergence test but if a series is not absolutely convergent, it can still be convergent so that didn't really help.
    Can someone help me with this one?

Note: I would like to be able to do this without the integral test if possible.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Rewrite your series S as: [itex]S=-s, s=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{n^{2}}{n^{3}-1}[/tex]
    S diverges or converges with s.

4. Oct 23, 2005 #3
    Oh ok, thanks for the help arildno.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?