1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of an integral.

1. Jun 13, 2006 #1
    i need to verify my work, i need to evalute the next integral, and decide if it converges or diverges:
    [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty}cos(\frac{2}{x})dx[/tex]

here what i did:
    2/t=x (-2/t^2)dt=dx
    [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty}-2cos(t)/t^2dt[/tex]

cos(t)>=-1
    -2cos(t)/t^2<=2/t^2
    the integral of 1/t^2 between 1 and infinity converges to 1, and therefore also the orginal integral with cosine converges.

is this line of reasoning correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you substituted 2/x=t, you didn't change the endpoints.

You might want to take a moment to think about what the graph of cos(2/x) looks like on [1,infinity)

4. Jun 13, 2006 #3
    ok i understand it diverges.
    so i get:
    [tex]\int_{2}^{0}\frac{-2cos(t)}{t^2}dt=-\int_{0}^{2}\frac{-2cos(t)}{t^2}dt[/tex]

when
    -2cos(t)/t^2>=-2/t^2

and -2/t^2 diverges on those limits.

5. Jun 13, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

-2cos(t)/t^2>=-2/t^2 won't help show that diverges. You're bounding it from the wrong side, your bound is 0<=2cos(t)/t^2<=2/t^2, on [0,1] say. Bounding something from above by something divergent tells you nothing.

You can fix this, but why bother with a change of variables at all? You know what cos(2/x) is doing as x->infinity right?

6. Jun 13, 2006 #5
    lim cos(2/x)=1
    2/x->0
    but how do i find the integral of cos(2/x)?

7. Jun 13, 2006 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean "find the integral"? I thought you already agreed it diverged?

8. Jun 13, 2006 #7
    then how do i prove it?

9. Jun 13, 2006 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cos(2/x)->1 as x->infinity, so the integral over [1,infinity) diverges.

You've surely got a result to this effect, if not just show you can make the integral over [1,N] arbitrarily large by taking N large enough.

10. Jun 14, 2006 #9
    but surely the integral of cos(2/x) is different than cos(2/x), so how the limit of cos(2/x) helps us to prove the integral of cos(2/x) diverges?

11. Jun 14, 2006 #10

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's one way of looking at it. Consider the function f(x) = cos(2/x). Now as [itex] x \rightarrow \infty [/itex], f(x) tends to 1. So, when you calculate the area under the graph from 1 to infinity, can you see that the area blows up to infinity?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  12. Jun 14, 2006 #11
    i uderstand that it diverges but how do i prove it rigourosly?

13. Jun 14, 2006 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In order to prove this rigorously, use some version of the simple ordering property of the integral:
    If the integral of a function f (strictly greater than your own integrand) diverges, then your integral diverges as well ("bigger integrand means bigger integral").

14. Jun 14, 2006 #13
    Why not expand it out as an infinite series, then integrate?
    It can be shown that the first term diverges, and the remainder converges.

15. Jun 14, 2006 #14

StatusX

Homework Helper

Another way would be to write:

[tex]\int_1^\infty \cos(2/x)dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \int_n^{n+1} \cos(2/x)dx[/tex]

And then use what you know about the convergence of infinite series.

16. Jun 14, 2006 #15

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The limit of cos(2/x) is 1, so there is an M where cos(2/x)>1/2 if x>M. How big can you then say the integral of cos(2/x) is on the interval [M,N]?

17. Jun 14, 2006 #16

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Ok, what does it mean if someone says that:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) = 1[/tex]?
    It means that, for every [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex], there exists a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex], such that [tex]\forall x > \delta \ : \ \left| \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) - 1 \right| < \varepsilon[/tex]
    As x increases without bound, [tex]\cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) < 1[/tex], so:
    [tex]\cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) - 1 < 0[/tex], breaking the absolute value, we have:
    [tex]\forall x > \delta \ : \ - \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) + 1 < \varepsilon[/tex]
    [tex]\forall x > \delta \ : \ \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) > 1 - \varepsilon[/tex]
    Now, you can choose [tex]\varepsilon = \frac{1}{2}[/tex] as shmoe.
    So we have:
    [tex]\forall x > \delta \ : \ \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) > 1 - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    So we have:
    [tex]\int_{\delta} ^ \infty \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) dx > \int_\delta ^ \infty \frac{dx}{2}[/tex].
    Does the integral [tex]\int_{\delta} ^ \infty \cos \left( \frac{2}{x} \right) dx[/tex] converge or diverge? :)
    ----------------------
    Ok, it works just like series, we know that if the series:
    [tex]\sum_{n = \alpha} ^ {\infty} a_n[/tex] converges then [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = 0 , \ n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex].
    So if: [tex]\int_{\alpha} ^ \infty f(x) dx[/tex] converges, then [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = 0[/tex]. :)
    Note that the reverse is, however not true.

18. Jun 14, 2006 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why bother with FOTC at all???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?