1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of complex series

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty} (n+1)z^n[/tex]

We have to find for which values of z is the series converging and also, we should find the sum of such a complex series.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]R = \frac{1}{\lim a_n^(1/n)}[/tex]

[tex] r<\rho<R [/tex]

[tex] q = \frac{r}{\rho} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, I searched for a series expansion similar to our sum (I first thought it would be log (n+1) ) but it wasn't the case.

Then, I looked up for my lecture notes on uniform convergence and continuity, and I found these equations stated above. I think this should definitely help since it can also be applied to complex series.

The problem, though, is that I don't really know how to use such radii of convergence. I also wrote down the factor q, since it rather seems that to solve this sum I will most likely need the geometric series (sum q^n = 1/(1-q) ). So my problem really is how to deal with the (n+1) factor, otherwise, if it was just z^n it would just converge to 1/(1-z) for all |z| < 1 = r.

I would appreciate any help.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Does that look like the derivative of anything?

4. Jul 9, 2010 #3
    Yeah, I guess that just looks as if we took the derivative of z^(n+1), but I don't see how is this going to help us anyway *shrug*.

Maybe I'm not counting some fundamental definition of integrals, series and its relations?

5. Jul 9, 2010 #4
    Oh got it!
    You were right about looking at the derivative. It was just that the sum of z^n (from 0 to inf) equals to a geometric series, then, if we take the derivative of this geometric series, we get exactly our sum. I.e. taking the derivative of the geometric series sum (1/(1-z)) will be our result, which ended up to be 1/(z-1)^2

Thanks!

6. Jul 9, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be careful about the first term and your sign when you differentiate.

7. Jul 11, 2010 #6
    Oh, sure. In that case though, (z-1)^2 = (1-z)^2. But for odd powers we should put a minus sign. So actually, if you think of it, we can come up with a nice formula, such as:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty} (n+1)(n+2)...(n+\alpha)z^n = \frac {\alpha !}{(1-z)^{\alpha+1}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook