1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of integral

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the integral f(t)=sin(1/t)dt from 1/pi to infinity. Examine if it is convergent.

2. Relevant equations

No particular equation. But I know that if the integral of a function g is convergent and there's another function h such that |h|<=g than the integral of h is also convergent.

3. The attempt at a solution

What I tried so far is to take the Taylor serie T(X) of sin(x). Which is T(x)=x+o(x) where o(x) is a term that is negative if x is small enough. So I can estimate the function f(t): sin(1/t)>=1/t for large t.

But now I'm not really sure if I conclude the right thing out of this:

Does it follow, that because |sin(1/t)|>=1/t for large t and the integral of 1/t from 1/pi to infinity is not convergent, so sin(1/t) isn't convergent, too?

Or how can I solve this without using the Taylor serie? I think it isn't the right way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the right idea. Except sin(1/t)<1/t for large t. Hint: It's not very much less.

4. Feb 10, 2007 #3
    Ok, I've solved it successfully. Thanks.

The next one is to check wheter the integral of sin(t^2) from 0 to infinity is divergent or convergent.

What I did so far is to find the zero points of sin(t^2) which are in (n*pi)^(1/2). So I can write our integral in a new way, more precisely, with a sum. I sum up over n from 0 to infinity and integrate over (n*pi)^(1/2) to ((n+1)*pi)^(1/2).

But how can I go on to show that the integral sin(t^2) is convergent?

5. Feb 10, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't.

How does the integral of sin(t2) differ from the integral of sin(t)?

6. Feb 10, 2007 #5
    Well, the areas in further regions of the x-axis get smaller and smaller (sin(x^2)) and in sin(x) the areas are always the same.

Can you give me a hint?

7. Feb 10, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well one way it differs is that it isnt elementary...Just incase Kruger doesn't already know, even though in sin x they remain the same, the integral is the net area, not the total area. The differences in the areas of sin x^2 gets smaller as x gets large, so that could converge as well i think, i dont know. Halls obviously knows though :P

8. Feb 10, 2007 #7
    I know that it isn't elementary, else I had calculated the integral with some method. The task and goal is to estimate the integral of sin(x^2). For example I could find some other function f(x) such that f(x)>=sin(x^2) and with the special property that the integral of f(x) converges, thus sin(x^2) also converges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?