Convergence of integral

In summary, the homework statement is asking what coefficient alpha this integral is convergent for. However, the integrand is not bounded by a specific value for alpha, and it diverges for any value of alpha.
(@apache@)

Homework Statement

what coefficient [tex]\alpha[/tex] this integral is convergent for?:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{x \left|\sin x \right|}}{x^{\alpha}} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started with this: I = I1 + I2 + I3, where
[tex]I_1=\int_{0}^{\epsilon}[/tex]

[tex]I_2=\int_{\epsilon}^{M}[/tex]

[tex]I_2=\int_{M}^{\infty}[/tex]

so, I2 is clear, but I have big problem with the third one, it looks like the divergent, but I'm not really sure, can you help me?
Is it correct that [tex]I_1 \sim \frac{1}{x^{\alpha}} [/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need three integrals: two will be enough. For the first one the limits of integration should be epsilon (lower) and b. For the second one, the limits should be b (lower) and M. Both integrals are improper, but for different reasons, and both need to be evaluated using limits. The first integral is evaluated at b and epsilon, and the limit taken as epsilon goes to 0+. The second integral is evaluated at M and b, and the limit taken as M goes to infinity.

I think both suggestion to solve this looks similar, because in the same way you must solve the limit in the infinity and I consider it quite difficult. Could you suggest me some more precise way of solution. I was trying to make the series from that. I mean: [tex]\sum_{n=M}^{\infty}\int_{n\pi}^{(n+1)\pi}[/tex] ant then I restricted it by high limit and then I was able to integrated when in the end I got some kind of harmonic series. So to sum up [tex]\alpha \in (0;1)[/tex] (according to first integral around zero).
Thanks for your time.

I think you need to work on the integrand.
1 <= ex|sin(x)| <= ex, so the integrand is bounded by 1/x[itex]\alpha[/itex] and ex/x[itex]\alpha[/itex]. Can you find a value for alpha for which the integrand is small enough that it converges?

In the first one I´m quite sure that [tex] \alpha [\tex] should be <1.
In the second one I get into the blind alley, neverthless I think we only one option, so we must restrict for some ending M, then we will get the high bound looks like that: [tex]\leq e^{M}\frac{1}{x^{\alpha}}[\tex], finally [tex] \alpha [\tex] would be >1. But it's very strange resul, isn`t it? Thanks again to everyone

Last edited:
(@apache@) said:
In the first one I´m quite sure that [tex] \alpha [\tex] should be <1.
I don't think so. If [itex]\alpha[\itex] < 1, then x[itex]\alpha [\itex] will be small. Since it's in the denominator, the overall expression will be larger than if [itex]\alpha [\itex] were greater than 1.
(@apache@) said:
In the second one I get into the blind alley, neverthless I think we only one option, so we must restrict for some ending M, then we will get the high bound looks like that: [tex]\leq e^{M}\frac{1}{x^{\alpha}}[\tex], finally [tex] \alpha [\tex] would be >1. But it's very strange resul, isn`t it? Thanks again to everyone

My sense is that this integral diverges no matter what [itex]\alpha [\itex] is. The exponential function grows large so fast that division by x[itex]\alpha [\itex] won't make any difference.

I was optimistic and I believed it could convergent.
Thanks fot your patience
See you

What is the definition of convergence of an integral?

The convergence of an integral refers to the behavior of the integral as the limits of integration approach a certain value, typically infinity. If the integral approaches a finite value as the limits approach this value, then the integral is said to converge. If the integral approaches infinity or does not approach a finite value, then it is said to diverge.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence of an integral?

Absolute convergence refers to when the integral of the absolute value of a function converges. This means that the integral converges regardless of the sign of the function. Conditional convergence refers to when the integral of a function converges, but the integral of the absolute value of the function does not. This typically occurs with alternating series.

How can I determine the convergence or divergence of an integral?

The most commonly used method to determine convergence or divergence of an integral is the comparison test. This involves comparing the given integral to a known integral that either converges or diverges. Other methods include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test.

Can an improper integral converge at both limits of integration?

No, an improper integral can only converge at one or both limits of integration. If the integral converges at both limits, it is said to be absolutely convergent. If the integral only converges at one limit, it is said to be conditionally convergent.

What is the significance of convergence of an integral in mathematical analysis?

The convergence of an integral is important in mathematical analysis because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function or series as the limits approach a certain value. It also allows us to evaluate functions that may not have a closed form solution. Additionally, the convergence of integrals is closely related to the concept of continuity, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.