1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of integral

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what coefficient [tex]\alpha[/tex] this integral is convergent for?:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{x \left|\sin x \right|}}{x^{\alpha}} dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've started with this: I = I1 + I2 + I3, where
    [tex]I_1=\int_{0}^{\epsilon}[/tex]

[tex]I_2=\int_{\epsilon}^{M}[/tex]

[tex]I_2=\int_{M}^{\infty}[/tex]

so, I2 is clear, but I have big problem with the third one, it looks like the divergent, but I'm not really sure, can you help me?
    Is it correct that [tex]I_1 \sim \frac{1}{x^{\alpha}} [/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You don't need three integrals: two will be enough. For the first one the limits of integration should be epsilon (lower) and b. For the second one, the limits should be b (lower) and M. Both integrals are improper, but for different reasons, and both need to be evaluated using limits. The first integral is evaluated at b and epsilon, and the limit taken as epsilon goes to 0+. The second integral is evaluated at M and b, and the limit taken as M goes to infinity.

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3
    I think both suggestion to solve this looks similar, because in the same way you must solve the limit in the infinity and I consider it quite difficult. Could you suggest me some more precise way of solution. I was trying to make the series from that. I mean: [tex]\sum_{n=M}^{\infty}\int_{n\pi}^{(n+1)\pi}[/tex] ant then I restricted it by high limit and then I was able to integrated when in the end I got some kind of harmonic series. So to sum up [tex]\alpha \in (0;1)[/tex] (according to first integral around zero).
    Thanks for your time.

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

Mark44

I think you need to work on the integrand.
    1 <= ex|sin(x)| <= ex, so the integrand is bounded by 1/x[itex]\alpha[/itex] and ex/x[itex]\alpha[/itex]. Can you find a value for alpha for which the integrand is small enough that it converges?

6. Nov 27, 2009 #5
    In the first one I´m quite sure that [tex] \alpha [\tex] should be <1.
    In the second one I get into the blind alley, neverthless I think we only one option, so we must restrict for some ending M, then we will get the high bound looks like that: [tex]\leq e^{M}\frac{1}{x^{\alpha}}[\tex], finally [tex] \alpha [\tex] would be >1. But it's very strange resul, isn`t it? Thanks again to everyone

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. Nov 27, 2009 #6

Mark44

I don't think so. If [itex]\alpha[\itex] < 1, then x[itex]\alpha [\itex] will be small. Since it's in the denominator, the overall expression will be larger than if [itex]\alpha [\itex] were greater than 1.
    My sense is that this integral diverges no matter what [itex]\alpha [\itex] is. The exponential function grows large so fast that division by x[itex]\alpha [\itex] won't make any difference.

8. Nov 27, 2009 #7
    I was optimistic and I believed it could convergent.
    Thanks fot your patience
    See you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook