1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of p-series

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^{p}}[/itex] converges for [itex]p>1[/itex] and diverges for [itex]p<1[/itex], [itex]p\geq0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

(1) Diverges: I want to prove it diverges for [itex]1-p[/itex] and using the comparison test show it also diverges for p. [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^{1-p}}=\sum\frac{1}{n^{1}n^{-p}}=\sum n^{p}/n=\sum n^{p-1}[/itex] for [itex]p<1[/itex]. [itex]\sum n^{p-1}[/itex] ...but this series converges? Where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's not very clear what you're thinking here. Can you elaborate a bit? What is less than 1?

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Sorry, typo -- p<1.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What exactly are you trying to prove? You refer to "it" but what exactly is "it"?

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    Oh, sorry -- I want to prove that [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^{p}}[/itex] diverges if [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^{1-p}}[/itex] diverges using the Comparison Test.

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you're using the comparison test, you need to show that
    $$\frac{1}{n^p} \ge \frac{1}{n^{1-p}} = n^{p-1}$$Can you do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook