1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of partial sums

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give an example of a sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] so that [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \left|a_{n+1}/a_{n}\right| =1[/tex] and [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_{n}[/tex] converges

2. Relevant equations

(Maybe relevant, maybe not)
    Theorem which states:

If [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_{n}[/tex] converges, then [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_{n} =0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble coming up with [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_{n}[/tex] that converges...

Since [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_{n} =0[/tex] doesn't imply the convergence of [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_{n}[/tex] (the theorem only works the other way around), I'm not sure where to start.

Any hint will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

You can certainly come up with some converging sum, ignoring the other requirement for a moment?

[tex]a_n=\frac{1}{n}[/tex] satisfies [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\to 1[/tex], but [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_{n}[/tex] does not converge. Can you modify this example such that it does?

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
    Sorry, I don't think my question was clear. I'm having trouble understanding what makes certain partial sums converge/not converge.

So yeah, [tex]a_n=\frac{1}{n}[/tex] does satisfy [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\to 1[/tex], but why wouldn't [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} a_{n}[/tex] converge? Isn't [tex]1/n[/tex] approaching zero?

5. Oct 7, 2009 #4
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. Oct 8, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The purpose of this exercise seems to be exploring the edge case of the ratio test. For the terms in an infinite series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex], you look at the limit
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\left|\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n}\right|~=~L[/tex]
    If L < 1, the series converges absolutely.
    If L > 1, the series diverges.
    If L = 1, or no limit exists, the test is inconclusive.

This problem seems to be about that third possibility, where L = 1.

7. Oct 8, 2009 #6
    Okay, I think I understand it... so if L=1, it's possible for [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] to either converge or diverge.

So, for example, when [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is an alternating harmonic series (from the wiki article above):
    1c17b395c60e0e044a7235fc4dcc6915.png

then [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] would converge and also have L=1.

On the other hand, if [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is something like [tex]a_{1}=1, a_{n+1}=a_{n}[/tex] so that [tex](a_{n}) = (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, ...)[/tex]

then [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] does not converge (since it goes to infinity) but still have L=1.

Is that right?

8. Oct 8, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook