1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of sequences

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does
    A subsequence of a sequence X converges to a point in I => The sequence X in I converges to a point in I
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think yes because the subsequence is the sequence itself minus a few finite number of points. Since they both are in the same set I, I can't see why not.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A subsequence can be lacking an infinite number of points in I. If a sequence is 1,-1,1,-1,1,-1,...

the subsequence

certainly converges. You can tell me what you think about the statement

4. May 5, 2007 #3
    Good example.

The question should be
    Does
    A subsequence of a sequence X converges to a point in I <= The sequence X in I converges to a point in I
    ?

Now it should be yes.

But we genearlly refer to seq and subseq as containing an infinite number of points.

5. May 5, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [tex]f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow I[/tex] is a sequence in a set I, then a subsequence of f is a sequence of the form h = f o g, where [tex]g:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow\mathbb{N}[/tex] is a strictly increasing sequence of natural numbers.

I like to think of g as a discriminating function that picks which guys from f it wants in its kickball team.. or which girls does the Maharajah wants in its harem, or... any such pictorial analogy to remember the definition.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  6. May 5, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And it goes farther too: The sequence X in I converges to a point y in I <=> Every subsequence of X converges to y.

7. May 6, 2007 #6
    It a little subtle. Every is essential. I didn't have every in my original statement so no if and only if condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?