1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of sequences

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the convergence, both pointwise and uniform on [0,1] for the following sequences :

(i) ##s_n(x) = n^2x^2(1 - cos(\frac{1}{nx})), x≠0; s_n(0) = 0##
    (ii) ##s_n(x) = \frac{nx}{x+n}##
    (iii) ##s_n(x) = nsin(\frac{x}{n})##

2. Relevant equations

##s_n(x) → s(x)## as ##n→∞##

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) So for this one, I can split it into a piecewise function since ##s_n(x)## has been defined at the origin.

Taking the limit as n → ∞, I can observe two limiting functions occuring. s(x) = 0 and s(x) = 1/2.

Therefore ##s_n(x)## converges pointwise, but not uniformly on [0,1].

(ii) As n → ∞ ##s_n(x) → x = s(x)## for all x in [0,1]. Hence ##s_n(x)## converges pointwise AND uniformly on [0,1].

(iii) Exact same limit as (ii) so the same answer will follow.

Do these look okay? It seems way too straightforward so it has me a bit worried.

If anyone could confirm it would be great :). Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the conclusions about convergence are correct. But I don't see any reason why you think the convergence is uniform. A sequence of continuous functions can converge to a continuous function in a way that is not uniform. You need a better reason than just that the limit is continuous.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. Mar 15, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

As in for the second and third ones? I think I see what you mean.

(ii)

##s_n(x) = 0 → 0## as ##n→∞## for ##x = 0##.
    ##s_n(x) = n/(n+1) → 1## as ##n→∞## for ##x = 1##.

So we get only pointwise convergence for (ii) and not uniform for all x in [0,1].

(iii)

##s_n(x) = 0 → 0## as ##n→∞## for ##x = 0##.
    ##s_n(x) = nsin(1/n) → 1## as ##n→∞## for ##x = 1##.

So as is in (ii) we only get pointwise and not uniform for all x in the interval [0,1].

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that's not what I meant at all. You were correct that they are uniformly convergent. You just didn't give a good reason (or any) reason why.

6. Mar 15, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Are you implying I need to go all the way back to the epsilon definition for this?

7. Mar 15, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I wouldn't go back that far. Don't you have any other theorems that will show that convergence is uniform? Here's a hint. In both of those cases ##s_n(x)## is differentiable and the derivative is bounded on [0,1] independent of n. Could that be useful?

8. Mar 15, 2013 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Uhm I think I have this theorem I just found :

Suppose ##\{s_n'(x)\}## converges uniformly on an interval I.

If each ##s_n'(x)## is continuous and ##\{s_n(x_0)\}## converges for some ##x_0 \in I##, then ##\{s_n(x)\}##
    converges uniformly on I to s(x) and :

##lim_{n→∞} s_n'(x) = s'(x)##

EDIT : So ##s_n'(x) = \frac{n^2}{(n+x)^2}##

So ##s_n'(x)## is continuous for all x in the interval.

If we choose x = 0, we see the sequence will converge to 1.

My only question is the "Suppose {s_n'(x)} converges uniformly on an interval I". Would I say : As n goes to infinity, {s_n'(x)} goes to 1. Which also happens to be the derivative of x just like the theorem is describing.

9. Mar 15, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well that just displaces the problem from showing ##s(x)## converges uniformly to showing ##s_n'(x)## converges uniformly. If you can do that then go ahead. I was thinking of something more like if ##|s'_n(x)|<M## for some constant M then if ##s_n## converges pointwise then it converges uniformly. If you can't find a theorem like that then think how you might prove it yourself. [0,1] is compact.

10. Mar 15, 2013 #9

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wait. So you're saying that if I can bound all the positive terms of my derivative by some constant M_n, then if I have just pointwise convergence of s_n, then it converges uniformly.

##|s_n'(x)| = \frac{n^2}{(n+x)^2} ≤ \frac{n^2}{n^2} = 1 = M_n##

Since we already have shown s_n(x) is pointwise convergent, then because its derivative is bounded we can conclude that s_n(x) is uniformly convergent.

11. Mar 15, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no subscript n. You've shown ##|s_n'(x)|## is bounded by 1. Independent of n. That's important. Showing each ##|s_n'(x)|## is bounded doesn't help. They all have to be bounded by the same constant. And they are, as you've shown. Can you say how this would show pointwise convergence of ##s_n(x)## would show ##s_n(x)## converges uniformly? Think compactness of [0,1] and epsilon. Wish I could think of the name of a theorem to refer to.

12. Mar 15, 2013 #11

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm I just read about what a compact space is, but sadly I don't think I'm allowed to use any of this ( the thing about the limit points made sense ).

I still think I was correct in an earlier post in saying this ( Slightly modified now ) :

For ##x = 0, \space s_n(x) = 0 → 0## as ##n→∞##.
    For ##x ≠ 0, \space s_n(x) = nx/(n+x) → x## as ##n→∞##.

So we have two values for the limiting function s(x) depending on x.

I don't think this is incorrect at all and would result in pointwise, but not uniform convergence.

Differentiating, I would get :

For x = 0. ##s_n'(x) = 0 → 0## as n→∞.
    For x ≠ 0. ##s_n'(x) = \frac{n^2}{(n+x)^2} → 1## as n→∞.

So the convergence is uniform.

Since ##\{s_n(0)\}## converges, we have one point where ##\{s_n(x)\}## converges and we know that ##\{s_n'(x)\}## converges uniformly so it follows that ##\{s_n(x)\}## converges uniformly.

13. Mar 15, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That. Is. Completely. Incorrect. The convergence is uniform. It's late and I'm running out of ways to convince you. But nx/(n+x) does not converge to 1. It converges to x. You had that part right to begin with. What changed your mind?

14. Mar 15, 2013 #13

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I had a moment of doubting myself for some reason. I added a bunch to the prior post that makes more sense than what I had before.

15. Mar 16, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just don't seem to be grappling with what uniform means. I just had a great idea. Why don't you graph s_n(x)=nx/(x+n) for some values of n, like 1, 10, 100. Does that give you some idea how you could directly prove the convergence is uniform (by epsilon ideas - not theorems)?

16. Mar 16, 2013 #15

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Going back to epsilons would probably make me feel more comfortable anyway.

##\forall ε > 0, \exists N \space | \space n>N \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - s(x)| < ε, \forall x \in [0,1]##

##|s_n(x) - s(x)| = |\frac{nx}{n+x} - x| = \frac{x^2}{n+x} ≤ \frac{1}{n+1}##

So choosing ##n > \frac{1}{ε} - 1 \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - s(x)| < ε, \forall x \in [0,1]##

Hence (ii) converges both pointwise and uniformly.

17. Mar 16, 2013 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the idea.

18. Mar 16, 2013 #17

Zondrina

Homework Helper

See, I understand when I go back to the epsilon definition for some reason, but the theorems he's provided for us are not sufficient for this problem I think.

(iii)

##\forall ε>0, \exists N \space | \space n>N \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - s(x)| < ε, \forall x \in [0,1]##

##|s_n(x) - s(x)| = |nsin(x/n) - x| ≤ nsin(1/n) - 1##

Having a small nitch with the arithmetic here. I can't isolate for n in terms of epsilon.

EDIT : Wait, what if :

##|s_n(x) - s(x)| = |nsin(x/n) - x| ≤ |n||sin(x/n)| + |x| ≤ n + 1##

So choosing ##n > ε -1 \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - s(x)| < ε, \forall x \in [0,1]##

19. Mar 16, 2013 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|x| isn't very small on [0,1]. That's not going to work. Look at the function x-n*sin(x/n). Is it increasing or decreasing on [0,1]?

20. Mar 16, 2013 #19

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wouldn't it be increasing? It's derivative is 1 - cos(x/n).

##2nπ## seems to be relevant here as it is the root of the derivative.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  21. Mar 16, 2013 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. It's increasing. It's zero at x=0 and increases to 1-n*sin(1/n) at x=1. Does that give you any ideas about how to pick an N corresponding to an epsilon?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted