Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of serie

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I need help with the following problem.

Consider the serie of function

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+n^2x}[/tex]

The serie is undefined for [itex]x \in \{0\}\cup \{-1/n^2, \ n\in \mathbb{N}\}[/itex]. I want to find wheter it converges pointwise in (-1, 0) or not and if it does, does it converge uniformly?

The way I would start this problem is by saying: For a given number [itex]m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], consider

[tex]x_0 \in \left(\frac{-1}{m^2} \ ,\frac{-1}{(m+1)^2}\right)[/tex]

Consider

[tex]f_n(x) = \frac{1}{1+n^2x}[/tex]

Then

[tex]|f_n(x_0)| = \frac{1}{|1+n^2x_0|} = \frac{1}{|1-n^2|x_0||}= \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}
    \frac{1}{1-n^2|x_0|} & \mbox{for}
    & n<\sqrt{\frac{1}{|x_0|} \\
    \frac{1}{n^2|x_0|-1} & \mbox{for}
    & n>\sqrt{\frac{1}{|x_0|}
    \end{array}\right [/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}|f_n(x_0)| = \sum_{n=1}^{\left[\sqrt{1/|x_0|}\right]}\frac{1}{1-n^2|x_0|} + \sum_{n=\left[\sqrt{1/|x_0|}\right]+1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2|x_0|-1}[/tex]

I'm guessing this serie converges, but I'm having trouble finding a convergent serie to bound it with. The other convergence tests have failed and the use of the integral convergence criterion is forbiden. I know that if there is a serie to bound it with, it would be of the form

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n = \sum_{n=1}^{\left[\sqrt{1/|x_0|}\right]}\frac{1}{1-n^2|x_0|} + \sum_{n=\left[\sqrt{1/|x_0|}\right]+1}^{\infty}b_n[/tex]

with

[tex]\frac{1}{n^2|x_0|-1} \leq b_n[/tex]

for n > N.

Edit:

And if there exists such an N that also satisfies

[tex]N\leq \left[\sqrt{1/|x_0|}\right][/tex]

then according to Weirstrass M-test, the convergence is uniform.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because of all the singularities (0, -1/n2) in the interval, it can't converge uniformly.

4. Apr 4, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was not well said. What I meant to say is, does it converge pointwise and uniformly for the intervals in (-1,0) where the serie is defined. I.e. in the intervals

[tex]\left(\frac{-1}{m^2} \ ,\frac{-1}{(m+1)^2}\right), & m \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

5. Apr 5, 2005 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the intervals of interest it converges pointwise, but not uniformly because of the blow ups at the end points of each interval.

6. Apr 5, 2005 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the basis of which theorem(s) are these statements made true? I would apreciate a quick answer because I need to hand out this question tomorrow!!

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  7. Apr 5, 2005 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, I have found how to prove the pointwise convergence, I just don't know how to prove that it's not uniformly convergent on these intervals.

8. Apr 6, 2005 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what approach you are using to prove pointwise convergence. However, if you are using the old fashioned epsilon delta argument, you will see that there is a dependence on x when x is near a singular value.

9. Apr 6, 2005 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I noticed that like 10 minutes before handing it out :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?